Guitars in the Classroom (GITC) is a nonprofit dedicated to improving the quality of education for all students by expanding the role of music in learning. We are looking for an intern interested in learning practical aspects of public relations and social media in the non-profit field. If you are already comfortable using social media and communicating with people, this internship will help you grow.
The public relations and administrative intern will work directly with our Public Relations and Social Media Specialists. Our goal is to give you real-world tools, techniques and daily experience creating content for social media, writing news releases, blogging and handling daily PR related administrative tasks in the arts and education sector. This is a great entry-level internship for students beginning their Public Relations or Social Media career.
Applicants must be willing to commit to 10-15 hours per week. The internship will last for 3-5 months, concurrent with school schedule. This is an unpaid, part-time internship opportunity for college credit only. You must receive college credit to qualify.
* Public Relations (2-4 hours a week)
o Drafting news releases and pitches
o Researching media outlet and creating media lists
o Distributing news releases on PR Log & PR Urgent
o Following up with pitches over the phone
* Social Media (2-4 hours a week)
o Uploading videos to our YouTube page
o Drafting descriptions for YouTube videos
o Writing content for our Instagram, Facebook & Twitter
o Strategizing a content calendar for our social media channels
* Blogging (2-4 hours a week)
o Writing blog posts about our programs
o Creating a blogging content calendar for the year
* Administrative (1-2 hours a week)
o Tracking incoming donations and outgoing thank you letters
o Drafting thank you letters using template
o Preparing thank you letters to be mailed out
* Currently pursuing a degree in English, Writing, Journalism, Communications or Business
* Enrolled in an internship class during internship semester
* Demonstrated interest in PR, either in coursework or past work experience.
* Team player
* Organized, self-starter, takes initiative, is resourceful and likes a challenge
* Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
* Professional demeanor
* Ability to multi-task
* Eager to learn, have fun and grow with us
* Excellent people skills, attention to detail and consistent follow through
* Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
If you're interested in interning with GITC, please email your resume and a short description of why you are interested in interning with GITC.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Public Relations
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Data Entry
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 19
- 10 to 15 hours a week
- This is an unpaid, part-time internship opportunity for college credit only.