This particular service program offers students the opportunity to participate in several different service initiatives including teaching and improvement of both the school and dormitory facilities. The experience will provide students with a new perspective on the obstacles that are preventing growth in these rural communities and allow them to practice implementing solutions to these challenges first hand.
A Bright Light Volunteers representative can help you identify the right service project for your group. Some of the current/ongoing service projects include, but are not limited to:
- Improving outside play areas for the children
- Building greenhouses to grow food year round
- Construct clean building ovens for communities in the rural highlands
- Constructing computer and homework desks for the children
- Creating a vegetable garden on site to grow food for the children
- Building bookshelves for the children’s books- many are now in storage due to lack of space to store them
- Painting classrooms
- Providing computer classes and instruction
- English language instruction and practice
- Presenting dental clinics in the rural highland communities and and distributing/donating toothbrushes and toothpaste.
Hands-on cultural activities (that are all optional and can be built into your customized itinerary) include an overnight excursion in Lima, a tour of the Sacred Valley, visiting Machu Picchu via train for a day, a cultural scavenger hunt in the historic city center of Cusco, learning traditional Andean dances, taking lessons in traditional Andean cuisine, and lessons in Quechua. Various options abound depending on the particular interests of your group!
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Improving Shanty Towns in Lima
- Teaching English in Cusco
- Volunteer Needed - Public...
- Marketing Volunteer Needed
- Help us spread the word about...
- Reborn Expedition: Cambodia
- Need Khmer Translation and ESL...
- Out of Isolation: Albania...
- Pura Vida: Costa Rica
- Volunteer Needed: Newsletter...
- Volta Vibrancy: Ghana
- Cuba Unlocked: Viñales, Cuba
- On the Rhode to Better: Rhodes,...
- Volunteer Needed: Grant Writing...
- Peruvian Perspective: Arequipa,...
- Mundo Maya: the Guatamalan Journey
- Good at powerpoint? We need help!