Adult English as a Second Language Classroom Volunteer
28 people are interested
Position Title: Volunteer ESL Classroom Aide/Tutor
Provide support to Catholic Charities English language instructors by working one-on-one or in small groups with adult ESL students to practice their speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills.
Reports to: Volunteer Coordinator
- Bachelor’s Degree or current enrollment in a Bachelor’s Program
- One year of teaching experience preferred but not required
- Clearances Required: State Police, FBI Criminal Background, and Child Abuse Clearances
- Fluency in the English language (no other languages required)
- Transportation to teaching site
- Participate in initial volunteer program training and attend ongoing professional development meetings
- Collaborate with ESL instructor to carry out meaningful lessons for students
- Meet one-on-one or in small groups with learners for at least two hours a week
- Speak English during class time
- Provide a caring and non-threatening environment for learners
- Maintain a consistent weekly schedule and inform instructor if unable to attend
- Cultural Sensitivity
- Planning and Organizational Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
Location and Scheduling:
Volunteers are needed Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9-11 AM at our classroom site in Harrisburg.
About Immigration and Refugee Services of Catholic Charities
939 E Park Dr., Suite 102, Harrisburg, PA 17111, US
To help refugees and immigrants in the Harrisburg area find safety, peace, and fulfillment.
Immigration and Refugee Services is a Catholic Charities program located in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. We provide a wide range of social and educational services to immigrants, refugees, visitors, and non-English speakers. There are four main services provided by Immigration and Refugee Services: refugee resettlement, legal immigration counsel, refugee job placement, and English as a Second Language courses. Services are offered free of charge to all individuals (with the exception of legal services which is fee-based but offers scholarships and sliding scale payments for clients in need). All services are designed to help individuals surpass the barriers causes by language and cultural differences while still maintaining ethnic heritages and identities.
We'll work with your schedule.
939 E Park Dr Suite 102Harrisburg, PA 17111
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two hours a week
- Bachelor's Degree