32 people are interested
Adult English as a Second Language Classroom Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Immigration and Refugee Services of Catholic Charities
Please visit the new page to apply.
32 people are interested
Position Title: Volunteer ESL Classroom Aide/Tutor
Provide support to Catholic Charities English language instructors by working one-on-one or in small groups with adult ESL students to practice their speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills.
If you are interested in connecting with us, please be sure to check your spam folder in your email for a follow up from us, as sometimes our company emails get automatically filtered as junk mail.
Reports to: Volunteer Coordinator
- Bachelor’s Degree or current enrollment in a Bachelor’s Program
- One year of teaching experience preferred but not required
- Clearances Required: State Police, FBI Criminal Background, and Child Abuse Clearances
- Fluency in the English language (no other languages required)
- Transportation to teaching site
- Participate in initial volunteer program training and attend ongoing professional development meetings
- Collaborate with ESL instructor to carry out meaningful lessons for students
- Meet one-on-one or in small groups with learners for at least two hours a week
- Speak English during class time
- Provide a caring and non-threatening environment for learners
- Maintain a consistent weekly schedule and inform instructor if unable to attend
- Cultural Sensitivity
- Planning and Organizational Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
Location and Scheduling:
Volunteers are needed for morning classes Tuesdays (9:30-11:30 AM), and evening classes Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (6:00 - 8:00 PM). Although our classes currently meet virtually, we ask volunteers to be within driving distance to expedite materials pick-up and in the event we begin offering in-person classes once more.
2 More opportunities with Immigration and Refugee Services of Catholic Charities
About Immigration and Refugee Services of Catholic Charities
939 E Park Dr., Suite 102, Harrisburg, PA 17111, US
To help refugees and immigrants in the Harrisburg area find safety, peace, and fulfillment.
Immigration and Refugee Services is a Catholic Charities program located in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. We provide a wide range of social and educational services to immigrants, refugees, visitors, and non-English speakers. There are four main services provided by Immigration and Refugee Services: refugee resettlement, immigrant and refugee women empowerment, refugee job placement, and English as a Second Language courses. Services are offered free of charge to all individuals.
939 E Park Dr Suite 102Harrisburg, PA 17111
March 1, 2023
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two hours a week
- Bachelor's Degree