Teaching assistant volunteers will assist in teaching single or multi-session courses (MS Windows 7, MS Word, Excel, Web Intro, Gmail, File management, and Social Networking), ultimately helping students resolve technical related questions. As a candidate you must be willing to work with a variety of student abilities to meet everyone's needs. This position requires a strong background in computers and technology, with an understanding this is a free service offered to the residents of the Tenderloin.
- Assist students in accessing and utilization of computer and various resources. (e.g. learning modules, internet research)
- Assists in the preparation of lesson plans and teacher's prep-sessions.
- Assists the teacher with room setup within the learning environment.
- Protect confidentiality of personal/student information shared.
- Periodic check-ins via phone, email, or in person with volunteer supervisor/point of contact.
- Educational/ Trainining experience with computer, internet and email.
- Appropriate experience in chosen software and creativity in teaching methods.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, inlcuding: conflict management, customer service and problem solving.
- Ability to work with diverse and low-income populations.
- Successful with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Polite, patient, tactful, with the ability to be firm with students.
- Punctual, reliable, collaborative, and team-oriented
- Adult Education
- Internet Research
- General Education
- Basic Computer Skills
- Community Outreach
- Microsoft Office Suite
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Mondays 10:00 am-12:00 pm (6-12 hours per month)
- Minimum 6 month commitment.