170 people are interested
Sibling Center Activity Assistant
ORGANIZATION: Ronald McDonald House Charities of Richmond
Please visit the new page to apply.
170 people are interested
The Ronald McDonald House Charities of Richmond provides support services for families with critically ill children who are being treated at Richmond-area hospitals.
Through a partnership with VCU Health and the Child Development Center, The Ronald McDonald House Sibling Center is located in the Children’s Pavilion at VCU. We are looking for dedicated, adult volunteers (18 or older) to engage siblings in the Sibling Center with age-appropriate activities. Volunteers will also be able to run the Happy Wheels cart through waiting areas in the Children’s Pavilion. The Sibling Center operates during daytime hours on Monday through Friday so day time availability during weekdays is required.
Impacts and Outcomes:
This is a hands-on opportunity that allows volunteers to engage with siblings of patients receiving care at the Children’s Pavilion at VCU. Parents are able to focus on the child receiving treatment while volunteers engage the sibling with age-appropriate activities.
- Welcome children to the Sibling Center and engage them in age-appropriate activities
- Activities might include talking, listening, reading, art, games, and comforting/rocking
- Organize materials, stock supplies for activities, and clean up after activities
- Run the Happy Wheels cart handing out items to families in the Children's Pavilion
- Commitment: Volunteers must commit to a weekly 3-hour shift for at least 6 months
- Shifts occur Monday through Friday from 9am-12pm, 12pm-3pm, or 3pm-5pm
- Volunteers must have a caring attitude and the ability to work patiently with a variety of ages
- Volunteers must be comfortable interacting with children ages 3-14 years (most participants will be 3-8 years old)
- Volunteers must be able to communicate well with children and adults
- Prior experience with children, personally or professionally, is preferred
If you are a student, please visit VCU Health ( https://www.vcuhealth.org/for-your-health/volunteer-services/college-student-volunteer) for more information about student programs.
About Ronald McDonald House Charities of Richmond
2330 Monument Avenue, Richmond, VA 23220, US
The mission of Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) is to create, find and support programs that directly improve the health and well being of children.
It is the mission of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Richmond to keep families close. RMHC Richmond may not be able to make the medicine taste better or erase the pain of a much-needed treatment, but we can help lessen the burden for thousands of families each and every year. Since we opened our doors in 1980, we have never closed them. We keep families together at our Ronald McDonald House and our Ronald McDonald Family Rooms. By providing our families with a "home-away-from-home" and a place where they can rest and refresh, we help keep families close.
1000 East Broad StreetRichmond, VA 23219
May 16, 2022
- Child Care
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly 3-hour shift for 6 months