Are you a Communications, Journalism or Public Relations major? Do you love to research and write interesting, compelling and informative news articles or blogs? Do you love to take pictures and have a knack for getting the perfect shot? Love shooting video to capture a great breaking story? Are you a social media expert and know how to post content, search for interesting stories, and interpret data analytics? Have you been looking for a challenging, yet interesting internship opportunity? And, have you wanted to work at company located in the city of Detroit and be a part of the exciting changes that are occurring there? Well, if you’ve answered yes to these questions, then this is the internship opportunity you’ve been dreaming about!
Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) is seeking an intern to join our Communications team. This is an un-paid internship.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Assist in planning, writing, and managing e-blasts and e-newsletters.
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions, and tools for marketing and communication.
- Draft and develop, distribute and pitch news releases, media alerts, and other stories.
- Assists in the development of communication materials and social media content.
- Ensure accuracy of social media and website content, including sourcing photography and securing media releases / waivers.
- Attend meetings and trainings as required.
- Other responsibilities may include daily news briefs, Friday e-blast, follow up stories, and ad hoc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The Intern must be able to utilize professional business principles and practices to create spreadsheets and develop reports.Interns will utilize their current academic experiences in communications and social media.
Internship requires an Intern to receive academic credit for internship and as such it is the applicant’s responsibility to set up the internship with their respective school.Detroit Employment Solutions does not provide transportation reimbursement costs, but will provide free parking.
Must be currently enrolled in an Associate’s degree, Bachelor’s degree, or Master’s degree level program in the following areas; Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English, or Marketing; or a communications related field such as Digital Media. Work experience within a non-profit environment is preferred, but not required.
Valid State of Michigan Driver’s License - Position requires some field work.
Background check and drug screen required. Detroit Employment Solutions does not provide transportation reimbursement costs, but will provide free parking. The Internship is a non-benefited position.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Basic Computer Skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Four (4) hour blocks of time, Five (5) days/wk
- This is an unpaid internship. Students can enroll in an internship course to receive academic credit