We are eagerly recruiting volunteers for our new Docent Program at Oakland Nature Preserve. Our Docents will offer guided tours throughout the property (musuem, trails & boardwalk) on a weekend/daily basis.
Whether you are an enthusiast or an nature expert, or passionate about the enviroment, restoration, conservation or preservation, we'd love to hear from you.
We offer a full and rigorous training program on the Museum’s artifacts, our ongoing resoration efforts and the trails and boardwalk on our property.
Docent Volunteer/Internship Requirements:
- At least 18 years old (or signed parental consent form)
- Reliable transportation
- Friendly and outgoing
- Comfortable standing for long periods or walking 1 to 4 miles in a day
- Desire to learn about Florida’s ecosystems, plants, animals and the history of the Preserve
- Desire to become proficient in material for at least 2 tours
- Minimum 6-month commitment and 4-weeks’ notice
- Minimum of 1 - 2 Saturday’s per month
- Minimum of 2 - 4 hours per day
- Attire must be comfortable and weather-appropriate, close-toed shoes; bring your own sunscreen, insect repellent, hat, water and food.
- Appearance must be neat and clean; no perfumes or scented lotions.
Our Docent Volunteers receive complimentary:
- Oakland Nature Preserve Membership (free admission to Saturday programs)
- Oakland Nature Preserve t-shirt, water bottle, key chain
- Name badge
- First-Aid training
If you are interested in this or other volunteer opportunities at Oakland Nature Preserve, contact Emily Haft at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.