Read With Me Program- Mecca Elementary School, Mecca
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where65250 Coahuilla StMecca, CA 92254
We offer a field trip to the school that needs the volunteers by contracting with the school district to provide a bus. The school principal and, ideally, someone from the District Superintendent's office, welcomes them with coffee and nibbles. The principal explains the demographics of the area and stresses that the children need the opportunity to practice their reading with a person fluent in English who can help them with pronunciation and, most importantly, comprehension.
The volunteers indicate what grade level they would be interested in working with and the principal and aides escort them to individual classrooms, to introduce each volunteers to the teacher. The teacher chooses the book and the student(s) and the volunteer sit down with each child and encourages them in their reading.
When a volunteer decides to sign up, he or she signs a registration form at the school and indicates which day(s) of the week they want to come. After the first field trip, some people choose to drive but the majority sign up for the days of the week a bus is provided.
- General Education
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 1 day per week, 4 hours per day
- Must Understand the English Language
- Accounting Opportunity with the...
- Martha's Village & Kitchen
- Palm Desert Library (Public...
- Palm Desert Library
- Indio Middle School
- Reliance Hospice
- Coachella Valley Repertory
- Desert Hot Springs Senior Center...
- Coachella Valley History Museum
- Desert Best Friend's Closet
- Jewish Family Service of the...
- RSVP Advisory Council Member
- Soldiers Organized Services (SOS)
- Paws & Hearts
- Children Discovery Museum
- RSVP - Volunteer Program Office...
- Cathedral City Library
- Jewish Family Services ( Office...
- Loving All Animals (Palm Desert)
- Coachella Valley Volunteers In...