The volunteers will run English conversation groups and technology labs with our ESL students. They provide the students rehearsal for real life situations in a supportive, fun, and varied learning environment other than the one they encounter other days of the week in their classes. Through the labs students are exposed to diverse personalities, perspectives, learning tools, and fun activities to practice and develop their English language skills. Volunteers can also be involved with planning the themes and activities for the group.As a volunteer, you will have the opportunity to learn about popular education in an powerful student-centered environment where student collaboration and participation is highly encouraged.
Available shifts in our Queens office:
- Fridays from 9am-11 am
- Fridays from 3 - 5 pm
Available shifts in our Staten Island office:
- One night per week from 7-9:30 pm
We prefer that volunteers have experience in teaching ESL or with group management. Our volunteers come from diverse backgrounds and experiences. It is most important to us that participants have a strong desire to support and work with the immigrant community. Willingness to learn, great teamwork, communication skills, and an enthusiastic commitment to supporting immigrants will be required from all volunteers.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred but not required. Comprehension of the Spanish language will help in some cases.
- Reliable and responsible (volunteers are asked to commit to at least 1 cycle of classes and to follow our attendance policy guidelines).
- Prior experience with group facilitation in an ESL Adult Learning environment.
- Aligment with MRNY teaching methods (communicative learning and participatory education).
- Interest in the Latino immigrant community.
- Interest in adult education, thematic instruction, and popular education.
- Willingness to learn and to work in teams and autonomously.
- Highly Motivated.
- Some knowledge of computers - tech savvy.
- Adult Education
- General Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One shift = 2- 3 hours (including planning)
- see above