The primary responsibility of the SAT Instructor is to guide students through Higher Heights’ SAT program using Khan Academy (r) in a classroom setting and to motivate and encourage students to improve their test-taking abilities. The Instructor should be familiar with the substance of the math, verbal, writing portions of the SAT and should be enthused to help students succeed on the exam. The instructor will deliver lectures, lead class exercises, provide one-on-one tutoring and proctor practice exams. Ideally, the Instructor will have had experience teaching or tutoring for the SAT sections (or similar content).
Position is ideal of current educators, college students, or businesses.
Higher Heights Youth Empowerment Programs, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) New Haven based College Access Program. Our mission is to change the lives of under-represented college bound students and empower, encourage, and equip them to obtain a post-secondary education.For the past five years, our College Access Program has been actively working with students, parents, and counselors throughout Connecticut promoting college access. With great success over 650 high school students have received our services. Each year we have had 100% graduation rate, 100% college acceptance rate, and 98% parent involvement rate.
Our SAT review course is designed to do more than just review question types and cover material that will be on the test. Students will also dissect questions from sample tests to gain a perspective from the test-maker's point of view. By doing so, they will learn the common pitfalls and traps to avoid.
The classes are interactive and light; and are designed to make learning enjoyable. Each SAT class consists of 20 classroom hours.
Salary: based on experience
Schedule: instructor of a 6 week course throughout the school year. Classes are held two hours per session, two days a week.
Higher Heights YEP, Inc. (HHYEP) in an effort to fulfill its mission, offers accessible high quality test preparation classes to High School Students. Over time, HHYEP will rise statewide average SAT and PSAT scores in order to increase educational opportunities for students. HHYEP is actively recruiting outstanding educators to teach strategies and content to college-bound students while building confidence and self-esteem. Key to every HHYEP service is the professional educator -- a motivated, inspirational, effective, creative, and engaging adult.
- Promote HHYEP’s mission in interactions with students, school administrators, and others
- Inspire, motivate, and encourage all students
- Arrive early at classes and foster a productive learning atmosphere
- Learn and follow HHYEP’s strategies based and content based curricula
- Address students' immediate educational concerns, while adhering to HHYEP curriculum
- Communicate with HHYEP via email, phone, and mail as required
- Maintain written records of students' progress and test preparation class performance
- Attend all trainings and relevant Higher Heights YEP, Inc. functions
- Knowledge of standardized tests and test-taking strategies
- Commitment to self-improvement, open to feedback
- Punctuality and ability to follow procedures
- Respect for and rapport with students
- Ability to adhere to schedules and deadlines
- Ability to work with diverse communities
- Flexibility, initiative, and problem solving skills
- Some knowledge of college admissions process and requirements
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Organized and efficient
- Ability to work independently without supervision
- Positive disposition and good sense of humor
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
- Professional teaching experience in a classroom environment
- Email and Internet skills
- Bachelor’s or Master's Degree or Teaching Certificate, preferred
- Experience teaching secondary math or language arts
- Experience preparing students for standardized tests
- SAT Prep Courses will be located at our college campus program site.
Please submit materials that detail your interest, qualifications and other relevant information. At a minimum, application materials should include: cover letter; resume detailing background and skills; and list of three professional references.
Electronic submissions preferred. Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If unable to send electronically, application can also be mailed to:
Higher Heights YEP, Inc.
300 Whalley Avenue, Suite 2G
New Haven, CT 06511
It is the policy of Higher Heights Youth Empowerment Programs, Inc. that no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise discriminated against under any program, including employment, because of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, disability (including, but not limited to, mental retardation, past or present history of mental disorder, physical disability or learning disability), genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by Connecticut state and/or federal nondiscrimination laws. Higher Heights Youth Empowerment Programs, Inc. does not unlawfully discriminate in employment and licensing against qualified persons with a prior criminal conviction. The Higher Heights Youth Empowerment Programs, Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 2 hour sessions/twice a week for 6 weeks