Who We Are
Established in July 2006, Capture the Dream, Inc. is a registered, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, dedicated to helping underserved and at-risk individuals succeed in school and find fulfilling, sustaining careers. We foster hope, love, and support to youth at critical time periods to empower them to overcome adversity and achieve their dreams. No dream is too small and no dream is too large.
Our organization offers several ongoing programs such as our Dreamcatcher program that combines mentoring and micro-funding opportunities for low-income K-12 and community college students from underprivileged Bay Area communities to help them realize their scholastic and career dreams. In addition, our scholarship fund provides $1,000 scholarships to students in need. Along with these programs, we also donate school supplies and provide experiential learning through our classroom program.
Since inception, we were able to fulfill the dreams of over 2,000 Bay Area youth and distribute over $250,000 in goods and services to those in need. In addition, Capture the Dream, Inc. has been recognized in the Oakland Tribune, UC Davis Magazine, a local New York Television Show, People Magazine, AsianWeek, World Journal, AT&T Community Spotlight Hero Award, 2007 Maybelline Empowerment through Education Award, Oakland Mayoral Proclamation, San Francisco Mayoral Proclamation, San Francisco Board of Supervisors Certificate of Honor, California State Senate Certificate of Honor, and Appreciation Award from the Taiwanese Consulate.
The Volunteer Executive Director is the key management leader of Capture the Dream. The Volunteer Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading Capture the Dream in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Capture the Dream, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support Capture the Dream’s mission.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of Capture the Dream’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that Capture the Dream can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Capture the Dream’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible effective administration of Capture the Dream operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- A bachelor’s degree, masters preferred
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Nonprofit management experience
- Budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of Capture the Dream’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Cultural fit with a diverse set of volunteers and board members
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
- Technologically savy. Understanding of google platforms (gmail, google docs) and MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Minimum 10-20 hours/week time commitment
- Lead/facilitate monthly staff meetings occurring the first Sunday of every month from 2-4pm in Oakland (unless holiday weekend, 2 nd Sunday of the month)
- Attend monthly board meetings occurring the first Sunday of every month from 4-6pm in Oakland (unless holiday weekend, 2 nd Sunday of the month)
- Attend team committee calls via conference call as requested
- Respond to emails/calls from the team and the board within 72 hours
- Minimum 1 year term commitment, preferred 2 years
- 3 month onboarding process/transition with current Founder/CEO as an interim ED to ensure culture fit, with permanent placement upon completion of requirements
Actual Job Responsibilities:
- Planning and operation of annual budget.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Serving as Capture the Dream’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the community and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance Capture the Dream’s Mission.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the Capture the Dream.
- Supervise, collaborate with organization staff.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
This is a volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation provided with this role since we are currently a 100% volunteer operated organization with a small operating budget. Volunteer will receive substantial leadership experience within this career field and an exceptional letter of recommendation. There may be future opportunity for this volunteer role to transition to a paid part-time role if the selected candidate is a self-starter that can meet the criteria of the board. A large determinant of the role transitioning to a paid role will be the organization's ability to successfully fundraise.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
For more information, please visit us at: http://www.capturethedream.org
Capture the Dream, Inc.
484 Lake Park Avenue, #15
Oakland, CA 94610
- Executive Admin
- Community Outreach
- Program Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 10 hours/week