Help make a kid’s summer fun! Be a Day Camp Counselor/Youth Advocate in Tubman’s Peace Camp. Help organize fun activities and field trips for children currently living in our shelters. Supervise outdoor playground games and crafts. Provide respite childcare and spend time with kids going through a time of transition. Gain experience in child and youth advocacy and early intervention with children. Make a difference in a child’s life by being a positive role model and creating a safe, fun environment!
Day Camp Counselors organize and supervise activities and field trips at Tubman’s annual summer Peace Camp for children living at Tubman’s residential shelter. Acting as youth advocates, Day Camp Counselors provide childcare, conduct intake meetings with parents for new residents, and are responsible for identifying and responding to the individual needs of Peace Camp attendees.
Impact & Benefits
- Make a difference in a young person’s life while leading fun activities and field trips
- Guide youth and parents in building life skills and enhance positive decision-making skills
- Foster growth and resilience within families who have experienced violence
- Gain experience in advocacy while supporting parents, youth, and families
- Foster trusting relationships with children, youth, and parents while maintaining confidentiality and appropriate professional boundaries
- Promote family healing while facilitating fun field trips, activities, and respite childcare
- Communicate and collaborate with colleagues to provide coordinated services to youth and families, following agency guidelines to administer safety planning, crisis intervention, and additional resources and referrals as appropriate
- Enjoy working with children, have experience working with infants through age 12
- Ability and willingness to listen actively and respond respectfully and appropriately to children, youth, and parents, and to make necessary judgments regarding health and safety
- Excellent communication and people skills, including emotional stability and patience
- Ability to work with diverse teams and clients to foster a culturally inclusive environment
Time Commitment & Availability
- Must be available 2-4 days a week (Monday - Thursday), noon to 5pm until August 24 th.
Please apply by submitting your application on our website https://tubman.org/give-help/volunteerintern/
We encourage applications from people of color, multilingual speakers, people of all genders, veterans and people with disabilities.
- Child Development
- Child Welfare
- Child Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 12pm-5pm, 2-4 days a week Mon-Thurs, through Aug.
- Training takes place in May