About Imerman Angels:
Through our unique matching process, Imerman Angels partners anyone seeking cancer support with a "Mentor Angel". A Mentor Angel is a cancer survivor or caregiver who is the same age, same gender, and most importantly who has faced the same type of cancer.
Our service is absolutely free and helps anyone touched by any type of cancer, at any cancer stage level, at any age, living anywhere in the world.
This internship will give its participant(s) a firsthand view of outreach in hospitals, while working for a close-knit nonprofit organization. Imerman Angels Socials are events where we bring food and drinks to local and suburban hospitals, and converse with cancer patients and their caregivers. These socials are incredible events where you can truly see why Imerman Angels exists, and how by just being there for someone, you can make a huge difference in someone’s life. Participants will be a team leader for a small group of volunteers, and serve as mediators between hospital staff and volunteers, they will also be responsible for transporting materials to and from events. The time commitment can be as few as 5 hours per month, as each hospital typically has one Social event per month. We ask that applicants have availability during at least one of these timeframes:
* Tuesdays from 10AM-2PM
* Tuesdays from 1PM-3:30PM
* Thursdays from 10AM-1PM (extra training required for this social)
* Thursdays from 10:30AM-2PM.
If more than one of these works with your schedule, you are more than welcome to captain more than one event per month if you are interested.
- Serve as a point-person for hospital staff and volunteers at Social events.
- Pick up materials prior to events, and drop materials off after.
- Serve as a professional, personable, and caring Imerman Angels representative.
- Provide emotional support to those you encounter and ensure the cancer fighters and caregivers receive the support they’re requesting, so no one has to face cancer on their own!
- A desire to help share conversation and care for cancer fighters.
- A graduate level student/recent graduate in the fields of psychology, social work, or counseling.
- We are a small office, and we rely upon our abilities to work and enjoying working with each other. Candidates be able to communicate in a professional manner with everyone they come in contact with.
- The ability to work under a deadline and to multi-task effectively.
- Strong leadership skills, and the ability to work both with a team and also independently with little instruction.
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Event Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Having a car is helpful, albeit not required.