VP of Development
Description of Organization:
Chemists Without Borders is working on solving humanitarian problems in a number of countries using the expertise of chemists in our community but also with a number of non-chemists. In Bangladesh, for example, we are working with high schools to educate students on the health hazards of arsenic in drinking water. In two of those schools, we have been able to raise funds to replace their wells contaminated with arsenic. This project will bring safe water to about 4000 people. We are also developing a Health Education Course for Bangladesh elementary and secondary students. In Bangladesh, we are also setting up a facility to manufacture inexpensive test strips to measure arsenic concentration in water and another facility to measure arsenic concentration in rice.
We are also developing chemistry kits using small quantities of chemicals for high school students in Sierra Leone. This will allow schools without a chemistry lab to still do chemistry experiments.
We have many other projects. These are just examples. We could do much more with your help. We are greatly in need of a VP of Development who could help us bring in the funding to continue and expand this work. We look forward to hearing from you.
This position is unpaid.
In partnership with the President, the VP of Development is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build CWB's visibility, impact, and financial resources. The VP of Development also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
- Support and partner with the President and board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Actively work with the President and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position CWB ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Identify, develop, and mentor the development team
- Create and manage all fundraising strategies which will help CWB to meet or exceed its development goal of raising approximately $75,000 over two years that will increase support from individuals, corporations and foundations, and crowd funding.
- Review the revenues and provide projections and analysis to the President and board members
- Plan and execute donor cultivation, stewardship and all related fundraising events. Manage donor communications including solicitations and follow-up.
- Two or more years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time and be detail oriented.
While the above qualifications are desirable, passion about our mission, desire to make a difference in the world, and the willingness to work hard to achieve goals often compensate for specific educational and experience qualifications. If you find the position attractive, let us hear from you in any case.
- Grant Writing / Research
- Donor Management
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- At least 6 months