We are the Bi-State Wildlife Hotline. We rescue, raise, rehabilitate, and release wildlife when they are sick, injured, or orphaned. That's as simple as we can put it. It takes a lot of us to keep up with the demand and we need help.
We are desperately seeking volunteers to work with us this year. Our busy season begins in March and lasts throughout the summer into September. Here are some of the things you could do while working here:
- bottle feed baby raccoons
- chase baby groundhogs that don't want to get back into their cage EVER
- argue with baby opossums when they don't want to wake up.
- try to keep the baby foxes from getting out of their pen
- clean very messy, very stinky skunk crates.
- Hold babies also known as be peed on.
- Laundry, TONS of it.
- Dishes, TONS.
- Take calls from people who do terrible things to baby animals for no reason.
- Rescue animals from those people.
- Triage that animal.
- Set it up in a cage and observe for trauma.
- Take another call about bunnies that don't need to be 'saved'.
- Argue with caller to put the bunnies back outside.
There's a lot of medical-veterinary info that we use here, but we're really good about clueing you in as we go. We're all super laid back people who really love animals. We're seeking people in ALL areas around the Metro Area, including Illinois. We are okay with out of town applicants as well, as long as you can come to STL for training.
Go to www.wildlifehotline.com/volunteer and fill out an application.
- Environmental Education
- Animal Care / Handling
- Search & Rescue
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 20 hours a week and up.
- Must be 18 years old or older and keep kids and dogs away from wildlife.