More than 12,000 Western Pennsylvanians helped beautify our region in 2017 by planting 200,000 flowers and helping tend to the beds throughout the summer into the fall. Our volunteers range in age from 5 to 85 and come from all walks of life. They live in city neighborhoods, suburbs and rural communities. They may come as individuals, families, community groups or corporate volunteers. Some have never planted before; others are skilled gardeners and have been planting with us for years.What Garden Volunteers Do
As a Western Pennsylvania Conservancy Community Greening Volunteer, here is what you can expect during a spring planting:
- You will be planting and mulching annual flowers.
- The planting activities will take about four hours on site.
- Children are welcome under adult supervision (planting day is not usually appropriate for children under eight).
- We plant rain or shine, usually in the morning.
- The Conservancy provides the plants, general planting instructions, plastic gloves (though you are welcome to bring your own), and safety vests for all volunteers.
- Dress for the weather-layers if it is cool, rain gear if it is wet, sunscreen and hats for bright days. You will get dirty!
- Wear sturdy shoes to protect your feet. No sandals allowed!
- Bring some water (and snacks if you wish).
If interested please call Lynn at (412) 586-2324.
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- 4 hours