Join our Albany Damien Center Board of Director's Team as we provide strategic vision, oversight, and resources to help the Damien Center fulfill our mission.
We are searching for persons who have experience serving on prior Boards of Directors and have skill sets in any of the following areas:
- Resource Development
- Human Resources
- Homeless Housing
- Organizational Management
- Social Work
- Mental Health
The Albany Damien Center is committed to building a culturally diverse Board of Directors and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates, women, and persons living with HIV/AIDS.
Our mission is to enhance the lives of people affected by HIV/AIDS in an affirming environment and to reduce new infections in the communities we serve.
Our vision is a community where people with HIV/AIDS achieve their desired potential and are respected as coworkers neighbors and friends, while striving for an HIV free generation.
Key Elements of Board Operations
- Board Members - establish and update the vision, mission, and strategic plan of The The Albany Damien Center, Inc.
- President - coordinates, motivates, mediates, trains, and encourages Board members; leads Board evaluation; makes sure the Board focuses on governance, not management; acts as the chief representative of The Albany Damien Center Board of Directors to its constituencies, approves the fundraising work of the Board; and works closely with the Executive Director.
- Officers - work with the Executive Director and President to coordinate the Board’s work to achieve The Albany Damien Center’s and the Board’s goals.
- Standing committees - include executive, finance, board governance and strategic planning. Address specific objectives of The Albany Damien Center and meet regularly.
- Other committees - are created on an ad hoc basis to address special or unique situations and meet as necessary.
- Board meetings - address organizational priorities of The Albany Damien Center and result in action on committee findings and recommendations.
- Agendas - developed by the President and Executive Director to direct and accomplish the Board’s business.
- Board minutes - serve as a brief, readable report of actions taken, items discussed but held over, items postponed, and new business.
- Executive Director - brings information and new trends to the Board’s attention and carries out the Board’s instruction. The Executive Director submits a monthly report to the Board on the state of the Center.
Board meetings are held on the last Wednsday of each month (10 times a year) at 6 PM and committees meet once per month.
- Financial Auditing
- Strategic Planning
- Resource Development / Management
- Spiritual Healing
- Organization Design
- Human Resources Assistance
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 10 hours per month
- Prior service on a Board of Directors