We are looking for an experienced illustrator willing to donate his or her time to a children’s book project.
American Support for Afghanistan (ASA) is registered 501(c)(3) registered, non-sectarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to education and aid for women and children in Afghanistan.
The children of Afghanistan have very little Persian reading material. Likewise, expatriate Persian speakers have few options for teaching their children Persian.
We are publishing a hard-copy (print) illustrated children’s book with text in both English and Persian. 100% of profits from book sales (targeting expatriate Persian speakers) will benefit social programs for women and children in Afghanistan. We will also distribute the books to children within Afghanistan through our established partnerships within the country.
We are looking for an illustrator with:
- Demonstrated ability to create full-colour digital illustrations (i.e., we’ll need to see your portfolio, but a student portfolio is fine)
- Excellent English communication skills
- An understanding of concepts required for digital illustration/publishing, including aspect ratio, image resolution, bleed, etc.
- Ability to work to a defined timeline
- Ability to apply a creative vision and illustrating style within provided guidelines (i.e., the story is written and we will provide notes on characters and what scenes to illustrate, but we hope you will let your own creativity inspire the final works)
ASA is 100% volunteer-run. Consequently, we cannot pay the illustrator for this project. We are looking for someone for whom this project resonates, who is willing to donate their time for a worthwhile cause.
You will get full credit for your illustrations on the cover and within the book, a short bio included within the book (if you wish), and credit in all marketing/promotion for the book, where appropriate. You would also be free to use your illustrations in your portfolio/for self-promotion.
If this project is successful, it is our hope to produce follow-up books featuring the same characters, in which case you would have the opportunity to decide whether you would like to continue working with ASA on subsequent books, and to re-evaluate the work-for-hire conditions.
To learn more about ASA, please visit our website asanonprofit.org or connect with us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AmericanSupportforAfghanistan/
To hear more about this project, please get in touch!
- Visual Arts
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment