South Bronx United is looking for coaches who'd like to combine a desire to support immigrant youth with a love of soccer in helping SBU expand its dynamic U19 Boys and Girls Recreational Soccer Programs. South Bronx United, in support of Terra Firma, a collaboration of Catholic Charities and the South Bronx Health Center, coordinates a Recreational Soccer League that offers an outlet for immigrant youth, many who have experienced significant hardship, to gather every Saturday afternoon, socialize with their friends, and play their favorite sport.
We encourage you to view a recent report produced by Al Jazeera America on SBU's U19 Recreational Soccer Program. We hope that this video motivates you to get involved. You can find the report here: http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/live-news/2015/9/soccer-aids-in-transition-for-unaccompanied-teens-in-the-us.html
In addition to helping create a fun, safe space for our boys and girls to make friends, adjust to their new home, and build community, we hope coaches embrace the opportunity to serve as positive role models and mentors in the their lives.
* Saturday afternoon in Fall and Spring. Coaches volunteer a set 1.5-2 hour slot between 2pm-6pm . The time slot is dependent on the scheduled game time for each team.
* Fall runs September - November
* Spring runs mid-March - June
* Mullaly Park: Jerome Avenue at 165th Street. Park is on the north side of Yankee Stadium
Coaches are responsible for running warm-ups and coaching their team each Saturday afternoon during the season.
Coaches should understand they will be the point person for contact with families and players and should be willing to make weekly phone calls home to ensure plays are aware of games and other important news.
Coaches must be able to commit to being present for at least 1.5 hours each Saturday (excluding holiday weekends) during the season.
One season commitment minimum, but two seasons is preferred.
Extensive soccer knowledge is not required, but enthusiasm for working with youth is a necessity.
Spanish language proficiency is a plus. French is also helpful
We will provide volunteers with orientation materials, coaching training, and a coaching manual. A formal orientation/ training will be held prior to each season.
In addition to helping provide the resources and support to a unique group of youth as they participate in an organized sport, coaches will have opportunities for professional coaching trainings and will be connected to a network of caring volunteers for fun soccer related events throughout the year.
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and availability for the volunteer position.
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1.5-2 hours/week
- Travel Soccer Coach & Mentor
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Travel Soccer Coach and Mentor
- SAT Prep Tutor
- Coed U6 Recreational soccer coach
- College Prep Tutor
- Web Development Support - Drupal
- Education Internship
- College Prep Mentor 2017-2018
- Regents Prep Tutor
- Summer Soccer Scholars Coaching...
- Team Mentor & Coach - Americorps...
- Special Events Internship - Fall...
- Film Editing/Videography...
- PSAT/SAT Prep - Verbal & Writing...
- Summer Scholars Teaching...
- Girls Soccer Coach & Mentor
- Immigrant Youth Coach & Mentor
- VISTA Development Associate
- PSAT/SAT Prep - Math Tutor