About 80% of our regular LEARN Works volunteers are Davidson College students; when the volunteers are on break our LEARN Works program is in desperate need of substitute volunteers. This commitment varies each school.
For the remainder of the spring semester substitutes are needed April 17 th & 18 th and May 8 th -12 th from 2:30pm - 5:45pm or from 3:15pm - 6:15pm for elementary students and/or, 4:00pm - 6:15pm for middle school students.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assist elementary or middle school children with homework assignments and school projects
- Supervise students on laptops and their participation on assigned educational websites
- Coach students on challenging concepts using manipulatives and other creative resources
- Empower children to make positive life choices
- Must be 14 years old or older
- Attend a brief orientation and complete a one-page agreement
- Familiarity with and appreciation for the mission of the Ada Jenkins Center
- Interest in education and empowering young minds
- Good communication skills
- Patience, love for children
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred, however not required
- If you are a student, you must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Background check required for those 18 years old+
Time Requirements: 3.5 hours,Monday - Friday. Shift varies
Note: If you choose to volunteer at 2:30pm or 3:15pm to work with elementary students please meet in the Ada Jenkins gym stage classroom. If you are coming at 4:00pm to work with middle school students, please go upstairs to LEARN Works, Room 206.
- Child Development
- Music Theory
- Library Sciences
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- 3.5 hours
- See Opportunity Description for Specific Dates needed this calendar year.