Pet Food Bank Delivery Volunteers Needed!
DONATE TO THIS
91 people are interested
The PAWS Pet Food Bank is the very first service provided by the PAWS program of Shanti and has been in operation since 1987.
The Food Bank provides PAWS clients with a supplemental allotment of pet food, litter and a variety of pet supplies (e.g., toys, treats, collars, leashes, carriers/crates, etc.) every month. This basic but essential service can often mean the difference between our clients meeting their own nutritional needs and sacrificing their needs to feed their animal companions, or being able to keep their pets in their lives at all.
Many of our clients are unable to come to the Pet Food Bank, located at the PAWS office, due to their disability. We rely on the generosity and commitment of volunteers to deliver food and supplies to all of our homebound clients.
Can you spare 3 hours on a Saturday morning to help keep these critter companions fed?
WHO & WHAT:
Food Bank Driver
Nature of the Position
- Working with a volunteer Rider, deliver bags of pet food to 8-10 clients
- Rider reads map and navigates driver to clients’ homes.
- If a volunteer would like to be paired with a friend, spouse, partner, family member, etc., they can notify PAWS Staff.
- Minimum age of 18
- Must have your own vehicle, current driver’s license, and proof of insurance. Vehicle must have sufficient space for one passenger and up to 20 grocery bags of pet food and supplies.
- Able to lift up to 15 lbs. to assist with loading vehicle
- Comfortable driving to any/all neighborhoods in SF
Food Bank Rider
Nature of the Position:
- Working with a volunteer Driver to deliver bags of pet food and supplies to 8-10 clients throughout SF
- Rider is responsible for navigation (with map & directions provided) and carrying food and supplies into clients’ homes
- Must be at least 18 years old, or 13 years or older when accompanied by parent or guardian
- Complete a PAWS Training
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs
- Must be able to walk up and down stairs and/or use elevators
- Comfortable going into clients’ homes in various neighborhoods and types of housing/buildings/residences
- Comfortable engaging with clients and, possibly, their pets
WHEN: Saturdays 10AM - 1PM. Volunteers can elect to be on on-call status or commit to one Saturday per month.
WHERE: Starting at the PAWS office in the Mission District and going to clients’ homes in various neighborhoods in SF.
HOW: For more information or to apply, please contact Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next available PAWS Trainings are:
Tuesday, February 19th 5:00-8:30pm
Tuesday, April 23rd 5:00-8:30pm
Please note: you must submit an application and have a phone interview with staff before attending a training.
Other ways to support the PAWS Pet Food Bank?
Donate much needed items* including: dry & canned cat food (especially Fancy Feast), dry & canned dog food (especially Cesar’s), treats (especially cat treats), poop bags, clumping cat litter, leashes, toys and clothing (especially for small dogs.)
*We accept food in its original packaging that has not passed its expiration or 'Best by’ date, and new or clean, gently used clothing and supplies.
We'll work with your schedule.
3170 23rd StSan Francisco, CA 94110
- Mental Health
- People Skills
- Bus/Van Driving
- Community Outreach
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- up to 3 hours weekly
- Able to lift up to 15 lbs., own car, proof of insurance, comfortable driving to any SF neighborhoods