This role facilitates or co-facilitates a group of caregivers for persons with Alzheimer's disease or related dementias. The support group creates an environment for caregivers to receive/share support and education with others on a monthly basis.
The Hancock County support group is currently held in Greenfield at the Hancock Regional Hospital on the last Monday of each month at 6pm. While we'd prefer to keep the same meeting location/time, we can discuss the scheduling if you're the right fit for this role.
- Attend basic and on-going training designed to provide current information, enhance skills and network with other support group facilitators.
- Submit monthly attendance sheets and meeting report forms to the chapter office in a timely manner.
- Promote member participation in chapter programs and services.
- Distribute chapter literature and information.
- Make arrangements for meeting room (and refreshments if desired).
- Notify the chapter office of support group meeting changes in a timely manner.
- Ensure confidentiality within the group. Group member names and addresses are confidential and can only be released to the Alzheimer’s Association.
- Conduct group meetings in accordance with the policies and procedures outlined by the Alzheimer’s Association of Greater Indiana.
- Inform the Alzheimer’s Association of any questions and/or concerns related to the support group.
- Knowledge of and willingness to learn about and keep current on Alzheimer’s disease and its impact on families.
- Pertinent background and/or personal experience with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Comfort with the expression of emotions.
- Ability to separate personal needs and group needs.
- Strong listening skills.
- Sense of humor.
- Potential Support Group Facilitator will attend new Support Group Facilitator/Volunteer training that will include: overview of AD, mission and resources of AA, affiliation guidelines, starting an Alzheimer’s support group, group process, group dynamics, group maintenance, and group evaluation.
- Attend and observe an existing support group meeting is required. Contact existing facilitator prior to observation.
- On-going trainings as required.
To learn more about volunteer opportunities or to submit an application, you can visit our website: http://alz.org/indiana/in_my_community_participate.asp
- People Skills
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
- Relationship Building
- Bereavement Support
- Group Facilitation
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- 2hrs/month - 1yr committment minimum
- preferred: social work background and/or experience with caregivers for those with dementia