Opening Eyes (Optometry) Volunteer
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where5420 W Cypress StreetTampa, FL 33607
What we do: Help us provide vision screenings to our Special Olympics athletes: children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Events occur year-round throughout the Tampa Bay area.
Screening includes: Lensometry/PD, History, Visual Acuity (far and near) Stereopsis, Cover Test, Color Vision, Eye Health, Autorefraction, and Check Out.
Who we need: Ophthalmologists, Optometrists and students, trained on-site to provide screening exams.
Benefits of Helping Special Olympics Florida Healthy Community Opening Eyes:
- Feeling good about helping those who cannot afford service or who did not know help was available to them
- Seeing the joy on the face of an athlete as they pick out their frames for glasses/rec specs or choose a pair of sunglasses
- Knowing that you have changed the life of over 40% the athletes you see in one day as they will be given a service or referral that could in some cases be life saving
- Enjoying the camaraderie of working together with a group of your fellow professionals
- Having the ability of increasing the number of patients in your practice: your practice will grow once word gets around that you work with persons with intellectual disabilities
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training