Sirovich Center for Balanced Living is a hub of recreational, social, cultural, educational, and health programming for people aged 60+. We provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner to older adults Monday-Friday as well as leveled exercise classes, health screenings, and a variety of arts and culture classes.
In a senior center such as ours, there is always plenty to do, and sharing your time with us is one of the greatest gifts you can give. Please see the volunteer opportunities currently available below.
MEAL SERVICE (DINNER & LUNCH): 1-5 POSITIONS (11am-1pm; 3pm-6pm)
If you are comfortable on your feet, and willing to help out during meals, we’d love it!
- Duties: Prepare meals, wash down tables, and deliver food, beverages, and smiles to our participants.
- Time Commitment: approximately 90 minutes, 1-5 days a week, for least 3 months.
- Requirements: must be steady on your feet, stay focused on delivering meals without getting caught up in conversations, and willing to wear plastic gloves, apron, and a glamorous hairnet.
OFFICE ASSISTANCE: 3 POSITIONS (9am - 5pm)
Do you miss working in an office? We could use individuals with office experience, especially in the mornings.
- Duties: Provide office assistance, including copying, filing, faxing, scanning, typing, and/or data entry.
- Time Commitment: at least 2 hours a week, 1-5 days a week, for at least 3 months.
- Requirements: office experience, familiarity with office equipment, work with minimal supervision.
TRANSLATION: 3-5 POSITIONS (10am-3pm)
We seek individuals who speak Spanish, Cantonese, and Mandarin, to help with translation.
- Duties: Be available to translate for individuals who speak languages other than English.
- Time Commitment: at least 1 hour a week, on your schedule, and commit to a minimum of 3 months.
- Requirements: Be friendly and conversational in English and another language.
CAFÉ PROGRAM: SEVERAL POSITIONS (3:30pm-6pm)
Participate in a dynamic intergenerational program at Sirovich Center’s Café on the Mezz.
- Duties: Help to serve smoothies, coffee & tea to guests. Help to facilitate fun activities, such as Game Night, Tablets, Spa Days, and more!
- Time Commitment: at least once a week and commit to a minimum of 3 months.
- Requirements: Be friendly and enthusiastic, and provide excellent customer service.
CLASS AIDE: SEVERAL Positions (Times vary)
Help our instructors for assistance checking people in and making sure they sign in.
- Duties: Check people into class, scan DFTA cards, and make sure they sign the sign-in sheet.
- Time Commitment: 20 minutes per class (10 minutes before to 10 minutes after class begins).
- Requirements: No need to stand all that time! But you do need sharp eyes and good people skills.
HYDROPONIC GARDEN: 2 POSITIONS
Help to maintain the Sirovich Hydroponic Garden.
- Duties: Conduct hands-on gardening, tend and harvest herbs and vegetables (e.g. basil, lettuce), demonstrate skills to others, and collaborate with teen and older adult participants.
- Time Commitment: 1-2 hours per week
- Requirements: Having a proven green-thumb is not necessary! But you should be interested in learning how to take care of plants and be committed to monitoring their growth.
GROUP LEADER (WORKSHOPS AND/OR TRIPS): SEVERAL POSITIONS
We have amazing volunteers who lead workshops, such as Mosaic Tiles, Choral Group, Short Stories, and the Technology Lab; but we’d love to have more Education/Recreation activities in our lineup. For example, we would love an enthusiastic person to lead a Bingo class or lead trips, even ones within the neighborhood.
- Duties: Lead a fun educational or recreational activity for Sirovich Center members.
- Time Commitment: Varies according to activity. (May lead full day or half-day trips, a one-time activity, or a weekly series, depending on your interests and availability.)
- Requirements: Good people skills; creative; and willingness to facilitate a group of members.
- Administrative Support
- Problem Solving
- People Skills
- Food Service
- Teaching / Instruction
- Data Entry
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training