Direct Patient Volunteers provide practical help and emotional support to terminally ill patients and their families. As a volunteer with Community Hospice of Texas, you’ll serve both patients and families wherever the patient calls home, whether it’s their personal residence or an assisted living facility. Typically, volunteers visit a patient once a week for 2-3 hours. Activities you might participate in include everything from socializing with the patient, to running errands, doing small household tasks or simply sitting quietly as a comforting presence.
Assignments are made as close to your home/office as possible. Volunteers are given choices of who they visit and where they go.
An initial volunteer orientation is required of all Community Hospice of Texas volunteers. Training and support programs are offered on a regular basis, to ensure that your service experience is meaningful and rewarding. There is no cost for training, and sessions are offered throughout the year.
Some things that a Direct Patient Volunteer might do:
* Make regular home visits to offer companionship and socialization.
* Stay with the patient so the caregiver can run errands.
* Provide opportunities for the caregiver to rest.
* Serve as a willing and sensitive listener.
* Interact with the patient by reading, playing games, or doing arts and crafts.
* Assist around the house with preparing light meals, walking the dog, or making telephone calls.
* Run errands such as grocery shopping or pick up prescriptions.
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a Direct Patient Volunteer, please contact Ashley Winfield at 817-870-2795 or visit our website at http://www.chot.org to complete an online Volunteer Inquiry form.
Do you have a specialized skill that you think could be a benefit to our patients? Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator to discuss potential opportunities!
- Patient Care
- Veteran Care
- Bereavement Support
- Hospice Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible with your schedule
- Volunteer with Hospice - Make a...
- Use your sewing talent to create...
- Hospice Direct Patient Care...
- Volunteer from home, a phone...
- Hospice Grief Care Volunteer...
- Make a difference with your time...
- Hospice House Volunteer (Burleson)
- Clerical Hospice Volunteer...
- Cleburne - Bring comfort to...
- A card or a phone call can make...
- Share Your Heart, Become A...
- Patient Care Volunteer
- Burleson - Care for hospice...