CalFresh Case Manager Intern will perform community outreach to low-income communities throughout San Diego County to promote CalFresh awareness. The CalFresh Case Manager Intern will provide assistance to clients applying for CalFresh benefits to improve food security for low-income households and individuals. The CalFresh Case Manager Intern will oversee 4-8 client cases each month and follow up with clients regarding completion of application, pending documents, interview appointments and case outcome. The Case Manager Intern will advocate on behalf of the client if any barriers arise. Duties and responsibilities are subject to change in order to meet the needs of the program, and allow for skills learning.
Key responsibilities include:
* Become fully knowledgeable of the CalFresh Program regulations, eligibility requirements, and application process.
* Conduct direct service outreach to food-insecure families, individuals, seniors, disabled, and other diverse populations
* Assist eligible clients with the CalFresh application and ensure completion
* Submit complete applications to our out-stationed eligibility workers on behalf of clients
* Serve as liaison between client and county for follow-up and communication
* Maintain good relationships with our county out-stationed eligibility workers
* Advocate on behalf of clients if obstacles arise that prevent client from accessing benefits
* Update tracking systems in Microsoft Excel
* Attend countywide and regional CalFresh Task Force meetings
* Weekly meeting to discuss work with CalFresh Capacity Coordinator
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Passion for hunger relief, social justice, and interest in public benefits assistance or social work
* Must have excellent customer service and communication skills, including both written and verbal, and the ability to establish rapport
* A strong sense of and respect for confidentiality involving both clients and employees.
* Ability to work in a variety of settings with culturally-diverse families and communities with the ability to be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
* A mature, professional demeanor with an aptitude for analytical thinking and problem solving
* Must be accurate and detail oriented, possess strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities in a complex and fast paced environment.
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively
* Strong proficiency in Windows 2010, Excel, Microsoft Word
* Bilingual skills highly desired (Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Arabic, Mandarin, etc.)
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please email the following to Rachel Oporto, CalFresh Capacity Coordinator, at email@example.com with the subject heading "Feeding San Diego - CalFresh Case Manager Intern":
1) Resume; 2) Cover letter detailing how your experience relates to the responsibilities and duties outlined above, along with your dates of availability. No phone calls, please.
FSD Interns must be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university. If you are not currently enrolled but are passionate about alleviating hunger and poverty in our community, please submit your cover letter and resume as directed above to be considered as a CalFresh Outreach Volunteer.
Members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, persons of disability are encouraged to apply.
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Community Outreach
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Data Entry
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Orientation or Training
- 10 hours weekly (recommended)
- 6 month commitment