Title: Nutrition Outreach Volunteer
Volunteer Type: Volunteer
Reports To:Beth Trimble
Recommended Hours:5-10 hours per month
Nutrition Outreach Volunteers directly support Feeding San Diego’s (FSD) mission of ending hunger through healthy food, education, and advocacy. By serving as a nutrition resource at our food distributions, our volunteers engage and educate those on the frontlines of hunger with practical information about the benefits of healthy choices.
The Nutrition Outreach Volunteer will lead interactive nutrition education through nutrition demonstrations and presentations to FSD’s direct clients and at partner agencies. This will include:
- Sharing healthy recipes that match with food items that families are receiving at FSD distributions throughout San Diego County
- Engage community members in conversations about nutrition topics such as measuring portion sizes, how to read a Nutrition Facts label, using spices and seasonings creatively to reduce sodium, sugar quantities in beverages, choosing more whole grains, etc.
- Represent FSD and our vision of a hunger-free and healthy San Diego
- Assist with nutrition education classes to partner agencies’ clients and community members
Benefits to Outreach Volunteer
Volunteer will receive an orientation and training from FSD, which will provide not only a functioning knowledge of the organization but also an education on the state of hunger in San Diego.
Volunteer hours will be logged and service letters are available upon completion of minimum time commitment (upon request).
One FSD shirt will be provided at the completion of full training period.
Volunteer will help address the issue of health and nutrition in our community.
- Interest in hunger relief, social justice, and or social work.
- Knowledgeable and interest in nutrition education, cooking, and healthy lifestyles
- Interest in being proactively outgoing in the engagement of community members in conversations about health and nutrition
- Ability to work in a variety of settings with culturally-diverse families and communities with the ability to be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to commit to one to two regular distributions per month in order to build relationships with a specific community.
- Reliable transportation and possession of a valid driver’s license, a satisfactory driving record, and proof of personal vehicle insurance.
- Previous outreach volunteer experience with a non-profit organization preferred
- Bilingual Spanish, Vietnamese, Arabic, Tagalog preferred
The Programs Department will provide an understanding of Feeding San Diego as a whole as well as role specific training on FSD programs and nutrition education outreach. The Programs Department will also provide the opportunity to shadow staff or a more experienced volunteer.
How to Apply
Please complete email your resume and a cover letter indicating your interest to Beth Trimble, Nutrition Capacity Coordinator at email@example.com. Include "Nutrition Outreach Volunteer" in the subject line of the email.
Members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.
- General Education
- Customer Service
- Child Development
- Community Outreach
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5-10 hours monthly (recommended)
- 3 month commitment