Be Your Own Advocate Volunteer
Department/Program: Patient Services
Staff Partner: Javier Macias, Multicultural Community Outreach Manager
Overview: The Illinois Chapter has developed a guidebook, Be Your Own Advocate, to help blood cancer patients organize their cancer journey by providing them with additional resources, calendars, educational booklets, and other valuable tools all in one convenient place. BYOA Ambassadors go to different cancer clinics to provide the guidebook, along with other educational materials, to cancer patients.
- Act as a ambassador for the Patient Services department in hospitals around Illinois by offering information to patients during cancer clinics
- Interact with patients and their families
Specific Skills or Qualifications:
- Strong connection to or passion for the mission
- Professional demeanor
- Ability to and comfort level for discussing patient services programs
- Nursing, medical or healthcare background preferred.
- Application and interview required. Resume upon request.
- BYOA volunteers will be trained by staff on LLS and patient services. LLS staff or seasoned volunteers will accompany BYOA volunteers to their first tabling
Commitment: 3-6 hours per month during weekdays (every other Thursday). 6- 9 month renewable commitment.
Impact: BYOA volunteers will enable LLS, its programs and resources to be accessible to additional patients and hospitals throughout Illinois.
Outcome: BYOA volunteers will help aid patients and their families by giving them access to valuable resources, including educational materials and financial aid programs. With better access to resources, patients and their families will be able to better navigate their cancer journey.
Benefits: BYOA volunteers will be able to hone their project management and people skills while making a valuable difference in the lives of those with cancer. They will also be able to increase their experience in a hospital setting and will have the opportunity to meet and talk with a variety of individuals from doctors to patients.
- People Skills
- Community Outreach
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training