Would you like to spend time working outdoors with a fun group of people in one of Seattle's most beautiful parks? Come join us for a Garden Stewards gardening party. Garden Stewards assist the staff gardeners in the task of maintaining the Washington Park Arboretum. Sessions take place Tuesday and Thursday mornings from March through October.
most up to date schedule, see the Arboretum website at http://www.arboretumfoundation.org/volunteers/garden-stewards/.
Sessions are Tue and Thu mornings and you are welcome to join us and help for as long as you can-an hour, two hours, or the entire three-hour session. It is a great way to give something back to one of Seattle's amazing parks and enjoy a few hours doing something worthy with a nice group of people.
What we do: Most of our time, from end of March through October, we spend doing various gardening projects along Azalea Way, and in the Pacific Connections Garden. We work with very knowledgeable gardeners who appreciate our assistance in helping to keep the Arboretum looking and feeling great.
Though our main activity is weeding, we also have other project, like replanting, pruning, and planting bulbs; There is also occasional mulching, if that is where your interests lie. Please check out the Arboretum website http://www.arboretumfoundation.org/volunteers/garden-stewards/ for up to date information on latest sessions.
Who should join: Everyone!
- No gardening experience?Not a problem. Staff gardeners from UW Botanic Gardens guide our activities, and you will receive sufficient instruction to feel knowledgeable and successful on your very first session.
- An experienced gardener?Your expertise will be enhanced by working with the Arboretum’s very knowledgeable horticulture staff. Current Stewards really value the time they have to interact with the gardeners and learn about the plants in the Arboretum.
- No garden of your own, but love working with plants? Perfect-our garden becomes your garden. Several stewards (some retirees who have given up their garden, some younger people who don’t have their own gardens yet) come to experience the joy of gardening through our Garden Steward sessions.
- Love the Arboretum and want to give something back?There are many ways to give back to the Arboretum, and many of our volunteers do give in multiple ways. If you love gardening, pitching in with the Stewards is a great way to give back-and one that you can see the results of each time you walk past an area that you’ve helped maintain! It is a lovely way to create a deeper connection to the Arboretum and learn interesting facts about the historic displays you’ll be helping to care for.
- A student taking environmental, landscape, plant ID or other horticulture classes? Working with the Garden Stewards is a great way to develop hands-on field skills in your chosen area of study. Arboretum staff gardeners have a wealth of knowledge to share (many of them may have even taken the very same classes you are taking), and volunteering with the Garden Stewards program will give you valuable work-related experience as you build your CV and start your career.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 14