DONATE TO THIS
52 people are interested
Elder Advocate/Field Ombudsman Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Empowered Aging
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
52 people are interested
Positions Description - Contra Costa, Solano and Alameda County!
The Field Ombudsman is a critical and trusted leader within the Empowered Aging team, trained to address issues negatively impacting the lives of long-term care residents through facility coverage and investigation as on behalf of residents in long-term care. Field Ombudsmen are called to facilities to mediate, negotiate and bring about resolution between residents, facilities and family members. Our job is not to "fix" the issue for the resident, but rather empower the resident to address the issue, when possible, and work cooperatively with all parties to bring about change and progress. We support compliance through education model and find that Field Ombudsmen are often called upon to provide on the spot education and information for facility staff and administrators.
Protect the rights and preserve the dignity of residents living in long-term care facilities in Contra Costa, Solano and Alameda County.
- Monitor assigned long term facilities for quality of care, quality of life and violation of residents' rights
- Advocate on behalf of facility resident
- Receive, investigate and resolve complaints on behalf of resident
- Work to resolve systemic problems that affect residents living in long-term care
- Strong Communication Skills
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people in complicated situations
- Eagerness to work with the aging community.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Must not have worked in a long-term care facility in the past 12 months
- Complete and submit an application packet
- Ability to pass a background check
- Access to reliable transportation
- 36 hours of module training
- 16-20 classroom hours
- 10 hours in the field - shadowing
10-15 hours per month(includes travel, phone calls, and monthly in-service)**
- Free ongoing training and educational opportunities regarding aging, dementia, long-term care and new innovations in health care.
- Community of like-minded individuals who are committed to the aging and long-term care
- Flexible schedule - Field Ombudsman set their own schedule and visit when it is convenient for them.
Field Ombudsman receive ongoing support and mentoring from a designated staff member as they navigate the long-term care ombudsman and learn how to best serve residents and their families.
About Empowered Aging
2255 Contra Costa Blvd, Ste 204, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523, US
Empowered Aging, previously known as Ombudsman Services of Contra Costa, Solano and Alameda, started in Contra Costa County with just a few government grants, a single staff person, and a lot of determination. Decades later we have evolved, expanding our reach to meet the needs of our time that are impacting a vulnerable and vastly diverse senior community. More than 480,000 seniors live in Contra Costa, Solano, and Alameda counties, and now more than ever, they need our support. They need hope, want to be seen, and know they are heard. Empowered Aging takes on the most critical issues surrounding elders and adults with disabilities in our communities, and we never stop fighting.
Empowered Aging believes aging is a natural phase of life, deserving of respect and dignity. Every day we empower, educate, and partner with older adults and adults with disabilities to best meet their unique needs - from providing opportunities to stay connected to the activities they love to ensuring they are free from neglect and abuse. We also believe that when our elder community thrives, we all benefit from their unique contributions and collective wisdom. That is why Empowered Aging is focused on uniting individuals, organizations, and communities together around a common mission, a shared vision, and a path forward to a stronger, more equitable journey in aging. We do this through a variety of programs and collaborations within our community. For many older adults and adults with disabilities, we’re the only connection and the only engagement lifting their voices, enabling self-sufficiency, and fighting for their just place in society.
While our organization has transformed over the years to address the challenges and change in the world, one thing remains the same: our focus on improving and strengthening the lives of our elders.
Multiple locations Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
September 28, 2023
- Case Work / Management
- Hospice Care
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15 hours a month
- Compassion and desire to protect and support older adults and adults with disabilities.