Elder Advocate/Field Ombudsman
25 people are interested
The Field Ombudsman is a critical and trusted leader within the OSCC team empowered to address issues negatively impacting the lives of long-term care residents through facility coverage and investigation as on behalf of residents in long-term care. Field Ombudsmen are called to facilities to mediate, negotiate and bring about resolution between residents, facilities and family members. Our job is not to "fix" the issue for the resident, but rather empower the resident to address the issue, when possible, and work cooperatively with all parties to bring about change and progress. We support compliance through education model and find that Field Ombudsmen are often called upon to provide on the spot education and information for facility staff and administrators.
Protect the rights and preserve the dignity of residents living in long-term care facilities in Contra Costa County.
- Monitor assigned long term facilities for quality of care, quality of life and violation of residents' rights
- Advocate on behalf of facility resident
- Receive, investigate and resolve complaints on behalf of resident
- Work to resolve systemic problems that affect residents living in long-term care
- Strong Communication Skills
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people in complicated situations
- Eagerness to work with the aging community.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Must not have worked in a long-term care facility in the past 12 months
- Complete and submit an application packet
- Ability to in
- Access to reliable transportation
40 Hour initial training over the course of several weeks.
2-hour ongoing monthly in-service meeting
10-15 hours per month(includes travel, phone calls, and monthly in-service)**
- Free ongoing training and educational opportunities regarding aging, dementia, long-term care and new innovations in health care.
- Community of like-minded individuals who are committed to the aging and long-term care
- Flexible schedule - Field Ombudsman set their own schedule and visit when it is convenient for them.
Field Ombudsman receive ongoing support and mentoring from a designated staff member as they navigate the long-term care ombudsman and learn how to best serve residents and their families.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
2255 Contra Costa BlvdPleasant Hill, CA 94523
- Case Work / Management
- Hospice Care
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15 hours a month