SCOPE OF ENGLISH LITERACY/CIVICS EDUCATION INTERN WORK: The EL/Civics Education Intern assists refugee clients in gaining the English, literacy, and civics skills required to pass the U.S. Citizenship exam. Curriculum is focused on developing vocabulary and communication skills for dealing with real world situations such as employment, transportation, and housing. In addition, supplementary materials help develop the vocabulary and communication skills needed for the citizenship exam.
- Assist instructor and program director in daily classroom activities including one-on-one tutoring, leading small groups, and teaching specific components of the curriculum.
- Assist program director in developing and implementing multi-level comprehension and literacy activities.
- Assist program director with new student registration and orientation.
- Support and assist with general program improvements, specifically in the gap between education best practices and the day-to-day classroom operations.
- Assist with record-keeping, data entry, and file maintenance to support program administration.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a multi-level, multi-language, and culturally diverse ESL classroom environment.
- Create curriculum, activities, and projects that are appropriate for a multi-level ESL classroom.
- Demonstrate an understanding of various models of ESL instruction.
- Support refugee clients to develop English literacy and comprehension skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Strong interest in working with international clients in a cross-cultural environment.
- International experience and previous teaching experience a plus.
- Ability to take initiative and be able to work independently, be flexible and creative.
- Enthusiasm for helping people learn.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least 15 hours a week for 3 months
- EL- Civics Education Intern
- Computer Literacy Intern
- Immigration Program Intern
- Youth Futures Program Intern
- First Things First Women's...
- Economic Empowerment Intern
- English as a Second Language-...
- Community Health Promoter Intern
- Logistics Volunteer
- Job Placement Americorps
- Public Relations Intern
- Childcare Micro-enterprise...
- English as a Second Language...
- Fundraising Intern
- Donations Intern
- Employment Services Intern
- Logistics Intern
- Volunteer and External Relations...
- Economic Empowerment Volunteer
- Health and Wellness Americorps