TREEHOUSE VOLUNTEER FACILITATOR
Facilitate a weekly dinner with youth as you support them in learning to work together and discuss important issues in their lives!
Hours: 2.5 hours per week
Commitment: One school year, (September - May)
Once a week, youth grades 3 - 12 attend social support groups facilitated by a trusted & trained Treehouse facilitator . Youth are given a safe place to participate in a guided conversation, share & be heard, build relationships , learn social skills, and build emotional support with peers while enjoying dinner. The groups recreate a family-style "Sunday" dinner, which is a tradition many of the youth do not get a chance to experience outside of the program. The Treehouse groups meet with the purpose of helping youth acquire essential life skills and develop trusted support networks to transition successfully from youth to adolescence, young adulthood, and beyond.
Facilitators receive extensive training on the Treehouse model and additional youth development skills prior to starting and meet on a weekly basis with the Treehouse Manager to lesson plan and strategize on addressing emerging needs.
Above all, Treehouse is a FUN program that youth love which offers critical support in their lives! Join the youth for laughs, games, and sometimes tough conversations that ensure they know they are supported and have the ability to support one another.
For over 40 years, the Jamestown Community Center has been providing learning opportunities and safe space for low-income Mission District youth. Jamestown’s mission is to mobilize the resources of families, neighborhood residents, and other community members to help young people realize their full potential as empowered and productive members of society. Jamestown fulfills this mission by annually providing nearly 1,000 youth, ages 4 to 18, with a full range of educational enrichment, academic tutoring, leadership training, employment, sports, and teen guidance programs. Throughout these programs, Jamestown aims to provide all participants with the highest-quality youth development experience. This approach builds young people’s resiliency as they face their daily challenges and supports their natural inclination to pursue their own growth into healthy, productive young adults.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and lead weekly social support groups of 10 boys or girls with at least one other adult facilitator.
- Meet weekly for one hour with the Treehouse Manager to debrief on the previous week’s meeting, discuss emerging issues and needs, receive support, and plan the upcoming session.
- Attend an orientation and bi-monthly training, which will provide the tools to offer the highest quality youth development experience.
- Maintain professional attitude and work ethic.
- Comply with Jamestown policies and procedures, and laws pertaining to the operation of Jamestown.
- Maintain confidentiality of participants and complies with all laws regarding youth work.
- A passion for Jamestown’s mission and a commitment to providing young people with the highest-quality youth development experience.
- Experience working with multi-ethnic, multi-cultural youth and their families.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong desire to serve as role model and develop trusting, caring relationships with young people.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred but not required.
- TB test and fingerprinting clearance required. (Eligible for organization coverage)
Treehouse is an excellent opportunity to have a direct impact on young people's lives whose needs are all too often overlooked. Youth in the Treehouse program are selected who can benefit the most from our services and generally face unfair circumstances in their lives. Youth are waiting for an amazing volunteer like you to support them in supporting themselves!
If interested in applying, please inquire with:
Chris Conway, Treehouse Manager
Telephone: (415) 647-4709 x116
Jamestown Community Center Fax: (415) 647-4718
3382 26th Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
Jamestown Community Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color and members of the LGBTQ community strongly encouraged to apply.
- Child Development
- Family Therapy
- Youth Services
- Crisis Intervention
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2.5-4 hours / week.
- Orientation and ongoing facilitator development workshops