72 people are interested
Boston Center for the Arts is seeking Gallery Attendants for the Mills Gallery! The Mills Gallery is known for presenting socially engaged, conceptually rigorous art. Past exhibitions have focused on themes including immigration in the U.S., how artists get paid, and queer fiber art. Our upcoming show will be curated by Alexandria Smith, a mixed media visual artist, and titled Coded.
Working as a Gallery Attendant is a chance to gain hands on experience working in a contemporary arts environment, while also building connections with curators, artists, and administrators in the Boston arts community. Gallery Attendants are the face of the BCA and an important link between the gallery and our public. They oversee the safety of exhibited work while creating a welcoming, informative environment for visitors.
Gallery Attendant responsibilities include:
- Opening and closing gallery, including activating artwork
- Initiating and encouraging dialogue with visitors
- Conducting research about the exhibit and artists on view
- Maintaining safety and security of artwork on view
- Collecting visitor information
- Assisting with events and performances in the gallery
- Serving as a general resource for our public, providing information about BCA programs, exhibits, performances, and events
We offer Attendants:
- Invitations to exclusive talks given by artists, performers, and curators
- Professional gallery operations experience
- New relationships and networks in the Boston art world and beyond
- Opportunities to take on additional responsibilities, including Gallery Attendant talks about artwork on view and content creation for marketing
- Valuable visitor service training including an introduction to educational theories and techniques
Shifts for Gallery Attendants are:
Thu 12-5pm, 5-9pm
Fri 12-5pm, 5-9pm
Sat 12-5pm, 5-9pm
Gallery Attendants usually sign up for 1-3 shifts a week. Our upcoming show will run Nov 17-Jan 27.
If you are interested in becoming a Gallery Attendant, please contact Erin Dimson-Doyle at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-426-1492. Please include your potential availability and any qualifications/experience that prepare you to become a Gallery Attendant at the Mills.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
539 Tremont StreetBoston, MA 02116
- Visual Arts
- Exhibition Arts
- Arts Administration
- Customer Service
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4-5 hours a week, 3-6 month commitment requested