Wild + Well Volunteer
7 people are interested
PURPOSE: To enhance the museum guest’s experience in the Wild and Well Center by promoting education and role play for the children and keeping the space orderly and clean.
- Greet and warmly welcome all guests
- Relate to all guests in a friendly, respectful, and enthusiastic manner
- Anticipate and answer guest questions as the arise
- Ability to represent the museum in a professional and knowledgeable manner at all times
- Provide accurate and current information on the exhibit/ area animals and museum events
- Adhere to museum policies and procedures
- Ability to direct and command the group attention and maintain discipline, particularly with groups of school children
- Work well with others as well as maintain guest interaction
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Facilitate role play for the "keeper" and "vet" roles and guide the children to the areas where they can perform the jobs.
- Interact with the children and ask them what they are working on and how they treating their animal or taking care of it.
- Offer to be their assistant and help them out.
- Encourage parents to participate as well.
- Help them navigate the technology aspects or encourage play by bringing animals to them and asking for help with it.
- Keep the area tidy in downtimes and make sure items stay within the center area.
- Closing volunteer must complete the cleaning process of the items per training protocols.
- Patient and responsible volunteer
- Comfortable working with young children
- Active and engaging
- Excitement about the exhibit
- Having the willingness to greet and explain when visitors arrive
- A good facilitator and not a authoritarian
- Ability to represent the museum in a positive way through attitude, appearance, and actions.
How to Apply:
Go to www.thevlm.org/join/volunteer/applications
- Email, mail, fax or drop off your application to the VLM (contact info on form).
- Be sure to put "Wild + Well" in your preferences
- You’ll come in at the VLM for an interview when your schedule allows.
- The $20 training fee will be collected at on-boarding (post-interview) and it includes your uniform t-shirt, online portal access and all training materials.
About Virginia Living Museum
524 J. Clyde Morris Blvd, Newport News, VA 23601, US
"Connecting People to Nature through Educational Experiences that Promote Conservation."
Volunteers at the Virginia Living Museum enhance the experience of our guests, are an integral part of the staff, and enrich the lives of our animals. Volunteers keep the museum thriving, functioning and continuously growing. They give their time and talents to ensure the success of this non-profit organization and support our mission to protect what’s precious.
Volunteers at the Virginia Living Museum work with staff members to promote conservation by teaching the beauty and uniqueness of Virginia’s many habitats. They can be found helping in the public parts of the museum or behind the scenes working to maintain the high level of quality care we provide for our animals. No matter what the service, volunteers are an asset to the Virginia Living Museum. In fact, volunteers outnumber paid staff five to one.
There are a wide variety of positions available to volunteers allowing people to find a location at the museum in which they would truly enjoy volunteering. Whether you enjoy working with the public, prefer engaging with plant and animal life, or are seeking to acquire skills in communication or husbandry, the Virginia Living Museum has it all! We are seeking enthusiastic and dependable people, regardless of background and experience. If this sounds like you, please consider volunteering at the Virginia Living Museum and become a part of our organization.
We'll work with your schedule.
524 J. Clyde Morris BlvdNewport News, VA 23601
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- at least 1 shift a month