It's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
524 J. Clyde Morris BlvdNewport News, VA 23601
PURPOSE: To enhance the museum guest’s experience in the Wild and Well Center by promoting education and role play for the children and keeping the space orderly and clean.
- Greet and warmly welcome all guests
- Relate to all guests in a friendly, respectful, and enthusiastic manner
- Anticipate and answer guest questions as the arise
- Ability to represent the museum in a professional and knowledgeable manner at all times
- Provide accurate and current information on the exhibit/ area animals and museum events
- Adhere to museum policies and procedures
- Ability to direct and command the group attention and maintain discipline, particularly with groups of school children
- Work well with others as well as maintain guest interaction
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Facilitate role play for the "keeper" and "vet" roles and guide the children to the areas where they can perform the jobs.
- Interact with the children and ask them what they are working on and how they treating their animal or taking care of it.
- Offer to be their assistant and help them out.
- Encourage parents to participate as well.
- Help them navigate the technology aspects or encourage play by bringing animals to them and asking for help with it.
- Keep the area tidy in downtimes and make sure items stay within the center area.
- Closing volunteer must complete the cleaning process of the items per training protocols.
- Patient and responsible volunteer
- Comfortable working with young children
- Active and engaging
- Excitement about the exhibit
- Having the willingness to greet and explain when visitors arrive
- A good facilitator and not a authoritarian
- Ability to represent the museum in a positive way through attitude, appearance, and actions.
How to Apply:
Go to www.thevlm.org/join/volunteer/applications
- Email, mail, fax or drop off your application to the VLM (contact info on form).
- Be sure to put "Wild + Well" in your preferences
- You’ll come in at the VLM for an interview when your schedule allows.
- The $20 training fee will be collected at on-boarding (post-interview) and it includes your uniform t-shirt, online portal access and all training materials.
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- at least 1 shift a month
Report this opportunity