PURPOSE: To enhance the museum guest’s understanding and appreciation of our natural environment. Will interact directly with the public by sharing their knowledge of the trail and providing excellent customer service to all guests.
- Greet and warmly welcome all guests
- Ability to relate to all guests in a friendly, respectful, an enthusiastic manner.
- Anticipate and answer guest questions as the arise
- Ability to represent the museum in a professional and knowledgeable manner at all times
- Provide accurate and current information on the trail animals and museum events
- Ability to present a professional appearance in dress, speech and demeanor at all times.
- Adhere to museum policies and procedures
- Ability to direct and command the group attention and maintain discipline, particularly with groups of school children
- Work well with others as well as maintain guest interaction
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Maintain order on the trail to avoid various problems
- Know how to handle issues such as bee stings
- Help to close the trail at the end of the day following set protocols
- Keep an eye on the animals and alert staff to any problems
- All Virginia Living Museum volunteers must work at least 1 shift per month.
- It is necessary that you report on time when scheduled. If you are not able to attend, it is required that you inform Volunteer Services in advance so that a substitute can be found
- Strong interest in wildlife or natural history
- Desire to educate others
- Be willing and physically able to walk around a ¾ of a mile long trail
- Ability to represent the museum in a positive way through attitude, appearance, and actions.
HOW TO APPLY:
Go to www.thevlm.org/join/volunteer/applications
* Email, mail, fax or drop off your application to the VLM (contact info on form).
* Be sure to put "Trail" in your preferences and any experience you have in entomology and any area in the natural sciences.
* You’ll come in at the VLM for an interview when your schedule allows.
* The $20 training fee will be collected at on-boarding (post-interview) and it includes your uniform t-shirt, online portal access and all training materials.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- minimum of 1 shift a month for at least 4 months
- must submit an official volunteer application found online at www.thevlm.org