Position summary: Space Exhibit Guest Services Volunteers provide OMSI visitors with friendly and helpful service as they navigate OMSI’s featured exhibits. Volunteers are currently needed to support the exhibit Journey toSpace on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. After Journey to Space closes on January 8, 2017, Space Exhibit Guest Services Volunteers will be asked to continue on with the next exhibit, Art of the Brick. Volunteers are asked to commit to weekly or every other week shifts for at least nine months.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Monitor entrances and exits to the exhibit, including assisting visitors with navigation between the exhibit’s lower and upper floors.
- Assist visitors with understanding the layout of the exhibit and provide information about daily events associated with the exhibit.
- Let visitors know where they may enjoy food or beverages elsewhere in the museum.
- Give clear directions and provide accurate information about other museum attractions and events.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Able to provide excellent customer service while enforcing rules.
- Eager to work with children, adults and organized groups of visitors.
- Able to speak in public and respond to visitor inquiries.
- Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and ages.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training