Literacy tutors work with adults who are learning the English language skills necessary for living and working in our community. Tutors work one-on-one with individuals who either desire to acquire English language skills or to prepare for taking the GED. Most students are limited-English speakers. Tutors will use published curriculum materials or create appropriate materials to meet the student’s listening, speaking, reading, and writing needs.
Childcare is also needed for our evening courses that generally run from 3:45pm-8:00pm.
* Strong desire to improve the English langue skills of students
* Sensitivity to cultural differences
* Patience, understanding, flexibility, and an unceasingly positive attitude
* Ability to serve as a tutor/conversation partner.
* Fluency in English
* Communicate any personal needs or concerns to the EL Civics Coordinator (Natalie Baldwin).
Day and Time
Varied, according to volunteer’s schedule. Time slots range from Monday through Saturday: 9am-12pm, Monday-Friday 3:45pm-8pm and 6pm-9pm. Any time available is fine.
- Literacy / Reading
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18