We need volunteers that can help us celebrate, remember, and fight back! 1 in 3 Americans will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. Help us make this a world with less cancer, and more birthdays; join the fight against cancer now!
We are seeking creative, and dedicated individuals from the Brookings County Area to bring our Relay For Life to the next level.
Relay For Life is the signature fundraising event for the American Cancer Society that supports our mission. The American Cancer Society is a nationwide, community-based, voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives, and diminishing suffering from cancer, through research, education, advocacy, and service.
Our event will be held in June of 2017.
Here's what the opportunity includes:
- Currently we are seeking individuals who can help us plan, and host an event for survivors, caregivers, and anyone else affected by cancer. The Relay For Life event is the final event of a fundraising season, hosted to celebrate survivors, thank their caregivers, and remember those who are no longer with us. From children to adults, we want everyone to have a great time and need leaders in the community to help us make that happen!
- Time Commitment: Flexible! The committee meets once a month for an hour on the third Monday of the month, usually at a restaurant or the library. In June we will have two meetings before the event, and then the event itself.
- Talent Commitment: throughout the year your talent investment could differ depending on where you choose to serve your time. Whether you are helping to organize activities for the event, planning decor and theme, or help teams plan their fundraisers; you could be lining up games for kids to play at the event (yard games, coloring stations, etc.), planning decorations according to the theme, or leading team captains to raise more money with your great ideas!
- Requirements: Access to a phone and email; willingness to attend monthly meetings, and ability to have FUN!!!
We have a variety of roles that you could lead, or assist with. These include:
- Team Development
- Mission Advocacy
- Survivor Recognition
- Accounting & Registration
- Logistics & Volunteer Coordinator
Experience is not required. Willingness to make a difference is!
The American Cancer Society provides training through webinars, round-tables, and support from the Community Manager to better understand these roles, as well as the mission of the American Cancer Society.
Volunteering is a great way to make a difference in your community, meet new people, or boost your resume with experience and skills, while helping an organization make a difference in the lives of those affected by cancer.
If you would like more information about how to help in one of the capacities listed above, and to make a difference in your community, please email Chelsey Cox at Chelsey.Cox@Cancer.org or call 605-323-3557
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Event Design & Planning
- Event Management
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Event Planning / Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 1 hour a month ( for 10 months)
- 5-7 hours the day of the event