Loneliness and boredom are common complaints from someone confined due to health problems. Residents enjoy one-on-one visits from a volunteer. Companions can simply visit or offer to do small tasks like letter writing or taking the resident for a walk/wheelchair ride or reading aloud. This volunteer opportunity allows you to build a relationship with a special individual and make a very real difference in their life. Staff would identify an appropriate resident and provide an introduction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Visiting with residents and actively listening to them.
- Assisting residents on walks and wheelchair rides around the property.
- Carry out activities on a one-to-one basis with a resident including letter writing, reading out loud to them, and playing games.
- A willingness to have fun.
- Empathetic listening skills.
- Volunteer must be at least 16 years of age or accompanied by an adult.
- For the safety of our residents, all volunteers must agree to a background check.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Staff will provide directions as needed.
- Volunteer will be provided a handbook with rules and guidelines. Training will be provided on an ongoing basis.
- Resident visiting hours are seven days a week between 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, so hours are flexible.
- We ask that you commit to volunteer once a week for a minimum of two months, however other options are possible.
- Make a difference in someone’s life.
- Be a part of a community of caring.
- Considering working in the health care industry? This is a great way to figure out if you’re interested in working with older adults as a career.
- People Skills
- Elder care
- Reading / Writing
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible hours daily between 8AM-8PM.
- A willingness to have fun. Empathetic listening skills. Must maintain confidentiality.