11 people are interested
The Tuskegee Cadet Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol, located at Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB) in Washington, DC, seeks volunteers with an interest in history to participate in recording and sharing the history of the squadron and of the Civil Air Patrol.
Dating back to World War II, Civil Air Patrol (the official auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force) is a nonprofit organization with 58,000 members nationwide. In its Air Force Auxiliary role, CAP performs about 85 percent of continental U.S. inland search and rescue missions. Its unpaid professionals also perform homeland security, disaster relief, and drug interdiction missions at the request of federal, state, and local agencies. The members play a leading role in aerospace education and serve as mentors to more than 24,000 young people currently participating in CAP's Cadet Program. Visit www.capvolunteernow.com for more information.
The Tuskegee Cadet Squadron, chartered in 2012, is the newest squadron in the National Capital Wing. This squadron is primarily dedicated to the implementation of the CAP Cadet Program, which encourages young people between the ages of 12 and 20 to develop leadership skills, meet physical and intellectual challenges, and serve their communities. A variety of other positions are available as well.
Location: Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, D.C.
Time Commitment: 10-15 hours per month
- Researching and creating articles, reports, or other projects that inform members and the public about the history of Tuskegee Cadet Squadron as well as that of CAP writ large.
- Producing the unit's annual history.
- Assisting the Tuskegee Cadet Squadron in saving and managing documents and artifacts of historical significance.
- Assisting the Public Affairs Officer in managing content on Tuskegee Cadet Squadron social media accounts.
- Taking and preserving photographs to document squadron activities.
- Conducting oral history interviews with long-standing and former members.
- Mentoring cadets assigned to or interested in history-related duty positions.
- Familiarizing themselves with the organization, missions, publications, and policies of the Civil Air Patrol.
- Regularly attending weekly squadron meetings, held on Monday evenings from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Background or strong interest in history, journalism, and/or museums. Those possessing or working toward academic degrees in these areas are particularly encouraged to apply, but this is not a requirement.
- Strong writing, editing, and public speaking skills.
- Aged 18 or older.
- Willingness to become a member of the Civil Air Patrol and comply with all internal regulations and procedures.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Enthusiasm for community service and working with youth.
- Access to historical and leadership training and opportunities.
- Formal recognition of training, qualification, and experience through CAP's Historian Specialty Track.
- Training and mentoring available from Wing, Region, and National Historians.
- Networking and training at Wing, Region, and National Conferences.
- The opportunity to publish items in CAP's National History Journal, a quarterly publication featuring articles and scholarly works.
In addition to position-specific duties, all members are encouraged to participate in Civil Air Patrol’s Emergency Services, Aerospace Education, and Cadet Program missions. A wide variety of Emergency Services and other training opportunities are available if desired, though participation is not required.
To apply, please email a letter of interest to Major Jacob Gerstein at DC051-Recruiting@natcapwg.cap.gov with the subject line "DW: Historian".
17 More opportunities with Tuskegee Composite Squadron, Civil Air Patrol (U. S. Air Force Auxiliary)
We'll work with your schedule.
200 McChord Street (Hanger 1)Bldg #111Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB)Washington, DC 20032
- Public Speaking
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Reading / Writing
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15 hours per month
- Willingness to become a member of the Civil Air Patrol and comply with all regulations & procedures.