Housewares Production - TROSA Thrift Store
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where3500 N Roxboro StDurham, NC 27704
Volunteers working in this position will work alongside TROSA residents at the TROSA Thrift Store. Volunteers will primarily be taking pre-sorted electronics items, testing to see if they work, and doing any cleaning or preparation required to sell the item. Volunteers may also assist with sales floor merchandising and answering customer questions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Volunteers will work alongside one or two TROSA residents assigned to the housewares production table at the TROSA Thrift Store. Our use of the term "housewares" is broad, and covers kitchen items, storage containers, toys, games, art and more.
- Pre-sorted bins of housewares will be at the production table for cleaning and pricing:
- Some items will clearly be trash and should be discarded
- Some items may be sold "as is"
- Some items will clearly be of value and should be cleaned and priced
- Some items may be questionable-check with a TROSA resident
- Check to see if the item is needed for the TROSA Program. There will be a list of needed items available, or you can always check with the Production Crew Boss if there are any questions about what is needed in the Program.
- Once items are cleaned, they need to be priced and inventoried.
- Once items are inventoried and approved by the Warehouse Coordinator, they will be brought to the shelves for display and merchandising.
- Volunteers with experience and expertise in antiques or retail work may advise residents
- Volunteers may be asked to shelve and arrange merchandise on the sales floor.
- Volunteers may be asked to assist in researching an appropriate price for an item
Knowledge, Skills and Credentials
- This position requires the ability to lift items up to 20 pounds
- This position requires the ability to stand on your feet for long periods of time
- Must be able to work with people of diverse backgrounds
- General knowledge of consumer goods in the housewares category is a plus
- Specific expertise in retail sales or antiques is a definite plus
- Project Management
- People Skills
- Retail / Sales
- Interior / Exterior Decorating
- Inventory Management
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of 3 hrs/week for 5 weeks, Max 25 hrs/week
- Application, background check, interview and orientation