Donations Intake and Sorting
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where3500 N Roxboro StDurham, NC 27704
Volunteers working in this position will work alongside TROSA residents at the TROSA Thrift Store in the Donation Center. Volunteers will primarily be sorting incoming donations into different categories so that they can be further sorted, tested, cleaned and priced for sale (or sent to the TROSA program) after the initial sort.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet any donors entering the donation center with a smiling "welcome" and ask if they would like a receipt for their donation (if so, get a TROSA resident to help them).
- Thank all donors for their donations
- Unpack donated items and check to see if they are in good, sellable condition
- Some items will clearly be trash and should be discarded
- Some items will clearly be of value and should be added to the sorting tables
- Some items may be questionable-check with a TROSA resident
- Check to see if the item is needed for the TROSA Program. There will be a list of needed items available, or you can always check with the Donations Crew Boss if there are any questions about what is needed in the Program.
- Sort donations by categories into bins. We have over 20 different bins for different types of items. As bins fill up, a TROSA resident will remove them and replace with a new bin.
- Keep the donation area neat, clean and organized
- If you have experience/expertise in any of the types of things coming in as donations, you may advise residents of anything that looks particularly valuable or interesting.
- If drugs, alcohol, weapons or other contraband are found in a donation, alert the manager immediately.
Knowledge, Skills and Credentials
- This position requires the ability to lift items up to 20 pounds
- This position requires the ability to stand on your feet for long periods of time
- Must be able to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- General knowledge of thrift items is a plus
- Specific expertise in areas such as antiques, electronics, furniture, etc. is a plus
- People Skills
- Resource Development / Management
- Retail / Sales
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Min 4 hrs/week for 5 weeks, Max 30 hrs/week
- Application, background check and orientation