Do you enjoy road trips? Want to see more of the USA? Are you a little adventurous minded? If you have a desire to help women go from victim to survivor, this opportunity might be perfect for you!
Families to Freedom provides long-distance transportation for victims of domestic abuse to get to safety with family or shelter outside of the DFW area.
We provide the vehicle and travel expenses for long trips- you provide your time as a safe driver!
**Weekday availability is in high demand!** Weekend drivers also welcome!
The majority of our callers are women comfortable riding with a woman driver.
We need volunteers aged 21+ with a good driving record, clean background and time to drive survivors of domestic violence from a safe pickup place in DFW to a destination either across North Texas or long-distance. Pickup locations are typically from a shelter, hospital, police station or retailer with security. We help women and children get to another city or state depending on our client's needs for family or shelter. Great for those who are a little adventurous minded and want to be personally involved in changing lives. Families to Freedom provides the vehicle and all travel costs! In summary:
- Road trips are typically to another county or state
- Arranged pick-ups in a safe public place going to a shelter in North Texas or family far away
- Most of our clients travel with children- we install car seats so you don't have to!
- You can choose to accept trips- no pressure!
- Families to Freedom provides the vehicle, fuel, food and other travel costs
- Typical driving missions start in the morning
- You can share driving with a friend or family member if they are also a volunteer
- Some travel is same-day return, other longer trips require an overnight stay (we pay for that)
- Short local missions also needed
View the Volunteer page on FamiliestoFreedom.org to start an application. Feel free to call for more info at 972-885-7020 or email volunteer@FamiliestoFreedom.org for orientation dates.
- People Skills
- Case Work / Management
- Safety & Disaster Education
- Bus/Van Driving
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 6-40 hours depending on the destination
- Smartphone and personal auto insurance required