Security Operations Advocates provide direct assistance to shelter clients and families. As DAIS volunteers, shelter advocates must adhere to confidentiality, shelter and DAIS policies and procedures, as well as the agency's Code of Ethics. Shelter Advocates must maintain professional boundaries with shelter residents.
All of our volunteers are required to attend a 26-hour New Advocate Training in June, and in order to most effectively serve our clients, we ask that you commit to a minimum of 18 months.
The next New Advocate Training dates are:
- Saturday, February 4 th - 9:00am-5:00pm
- Tuesday, February 7 th - 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Wednesday, February 8 th - 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Thursday, February 9 th - 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Tuesday, February 14 th - 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Wednesday, February 15 th - 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Thursday, February 16 th - 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One 4-8 hour shift per week
- Overnight Help Line Advocate
- Community Outreach Specialist
- Help Line Advocate: Provide the...
- Publicity and Design Volunteer:
- Service Projects & Event Support
- Web Design Volunteer
- Children's Advocate: Work with...
- Donation Volunteer: Support the...
- Event Planning: Work with a team...
- Community Response Advocate:...
- Security Operations Advocate