Peacock Acres is embarking on a new journey towards supporting the foster youth of Monterey County.
Now finally settled in our new building, the Therapeutic Learning Center is an even larger space that can adequately and effectively provide the environment conducive to the varied needs of our youth.
Through a program of creative arts and recreation enrichment (CARE), the intended goal of CARE is to stimulate interest in arts and wellness, self-reflection, creativity, curiosity, and connection, all are integral to a healthy self; enhance who they, the youth, are; encourage a sense of pride; teach outlets for dealing with challenges specific to foster youth.
But in trying to provide a therapeutic and transformative program, we need the support of the community to help realize our intended goal.
Whether it be leading and facilitating one of the themed workshops of the month or providing support to said workshops, we need your help.
Below is the list of planned workshops for the next academic year:
- Mandalas - demonstrating what mandalas are and relating their therapeutic value
- Mindfulness meditation
- Healthy eating - a workshop on proper diet, what food is, and why what we consume directly affects our health
- Poetry, song writing, stories - a workshop solely dedicated to self-expression in the written word
- Empathy and community - what is empathy? Look at paintings that elicit empathetic feelings
- Drawing - lead workshops on drawing on-site and off-site in relation to perspective
- Forgiveness boxes and dream catchers
- Forgiveness and moving forward - learning how to let go and trusting oneself through rock climbing
- Breathing techniques - Importance of oxygen flow in learning and growing and overcoming stress. A yoga instructor is ideal
- Movement - Connecting with nature; bike ride along coast; participating in the Sea Otter Classic is a goal
- Capture the moment - workshops on photography whether film, Polaroid, or digital.
- Child Development
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment