Artemis House Volunteer
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
142 people are interested
Shelter House, Inc. is a communitybased, nonprofit organization serving homeless families and victims of domestic violence in Fairfax County, Virginia. Artemis House is Fairfax County’s only 24hour emergency shelter for individuals and families fleeing domestic and sexual violence and human trafficking. For more information, please visit our website at http://shelterhouse.org.
Summary of Position:
Artemis House is seeking volunteers to assist with coverage and supervision of the domestic violence shelter. Student volunteers will, with Artemis House staff, serve as a first point of contact for client needs and support. This position is responsible for crisis intervention, facilities management, ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the front desk and maintaining a positive living environment within the shelter.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Ensure the safe functioning of the shelter and maintain a safe environment for clients.
● Monitor all calls and inquiries while maintaining confidentiality at all times.
● Answer crisis calls from the Fairfax County Domestic Violence Hotline and complete safety plans and needs assessments.
● Update the daily log by documenting all interactions with clients and any other significant events in the shelter.
● Work closely with case managers to support and reinforce the client’s service plan and maintain ongoing communication regarding client progress.
● Complete efficient shift exchange with incoming/ outgoing staff and report on the day’s activities in order to maintain consistency throughout the day.
● Ensure all documentation pertaining to the Shelter House log is completed and in compliance with agency best practice.
● Evaluate and provide for basic needs of shelter clients while on shift. Distribute household items, toiletries and other items to clients as needed.
● Maintain the dignity and confidentiality of all clients during service delivery.
● Conduct assessments and intakes for clients in imminent danger seeking a safe haven.
● Exemplify the Shelter House core values; Collaboration, Accountability, Respect and Empowerment
About Shelter House, Inc.
12310 PINECREST RD STE 304, RESTON, VA 20191, US
Mission: To prevent and end homelessness and domestic violence by engaging the community, building effective relationships and providing crisis intervention, safe housing and supportive services. Vision: We envision a community free of homelessness and domestic violence. Our Core Values Are: Collaboration, Accountability, Respect, and Empowerment.
Shelter House, Inc. is a community-based, non-profit organization serving homeless families in Fairfax County, Virginia. Our organization was formed in 1981, when several ecumenical groups came together to better serve Fairfax County’s low-income population. In 1985, Shelter House’s facility was moved to its current location in Falls Church. In 2007, Shelter House was awarded Fairfax County’s contract to operate the Katherine K. Hanley Family Shelter in Fairfax. In 2010, Shelter House became the first non-profit to operate Artemis House, Fairfax County’s only 24 hour Domestic Violence Shelter.
We'll work with your schedule.
12310 Pinecrest Road #304Reston, VA 20191
- Administrative Support
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4-5 hours at least once a month.
- TB test required.