PURPOSE: To enhance the museum guest’s understanding and appreciation of our natural environment. Will interact directly with the public by sharing their knowledge of the touch tank and providing excellent customer service to all guests.
- Greet and warmly welcome all guests
- Relate to all guests in a friendly, respectful, and enthusiastic manner
- Anticipate and answer guest questions as the arise
- Ability to represent the museum in a professional and knowledgeable manner at all times
- Provide accurate and current information on the touch tank animals and museum events
- Adhere to museum policies and procedures
- Ability to direct and command the group attention and maintain discipline, particularly with groups of school children
- Work well with others as well as maintain guest interaction
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Ability to be comfortable speaking to varying sizes of groups
- May need to feed animals during the appropriate scheduled time
- Stay up to date on facts about exhibit animals, the Chesapeake Bay, and conservation education
- All Virginia Living Museumvolunteers must work at least 1 shift per month.
- It is necessary that you report on time when scheduled. If you are not able to attend, it is required that you inform Volunteer Services in advance so that a substitute can be found
- Strong interest in marine life
- Desire to educate others
- Be willing to get hands wet and handle various types of animals
- Ability to represent the museum in a positive way through attitude, appearance, and actions.
HOW TO APPLY:
Go to www.thevlm.org/join/volunteer/applications
* Email, mail, fax or drop off your application to the VLM (contact info on form).
* Be sure to put "Touch Tank" in your preferences and any experience you have in entomology and any area in the natural sciences.
* You’ll come in at the VLM for an interview when your schedule allows.
* The $20 training fee will be collected at on-boarding (post-interview) and it includes your uniform t-shirt, online portal access and all training materials.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- at least one shift a month or a regular shift
- Must submit an application found at thevlm.org