Motivated & Inspired Board Members
12 people are interested
ROLE DESCRIPTION: BOARD MEMBER
Words Heal, Inc.
The Board will support the work of Words Heal, Inc. (WHI) and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Officer and/or Board Chair to inform the development and implementation of WHI’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by WHI for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving WHI’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the organization's leadership
- Assisting the Executive Officer and/or Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other board members
- Partnering to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing WHI to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring WHI’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities WHI serves
WHI Board Members will consider WHI a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that WHI can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, WHI expects board members to make donations according to their capacity.
WHI’s Board Members serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings are held quarterly and committee meetings are held monthly, as necessary. Our annual meeting takes place in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Board members may serve from any location in the United States.Qualifications
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about WHI's mission. We are especially eager to partner with people with experience with board leadership.
Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in education, social services, librarianship, psychology, medicine or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in the above-mentioned fields.
- A commitment to and understanding of WHI’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of WHI's beneficiaries
Service on WHI's Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties. Members of majority populations/religion and males are encouraged to apply. Board member applicants are nominated for appointment by the board, after a successful interview, background and review process. Preference will be given to persons living in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Family Therapy
- Youth Services
- Elder care
- Literacy / Reading
- Child Welfare
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- 2-8 Hours Per Month