Tax Preparer: Volunteers work directly with families to file their tax returns at one of our tax centers. Tax Preparers walk our clients through the tax preparation process and prepare returns using TaxSlayer software. We teach you everything you need to know in a required training (up to 8 hours for new volunteers). After training, volunteers complete an IRS Volunteer Tax Preparer certification test and are ready to start filing returns!
Greeter: As the first person a taxpayer encounters, the Client Liaison welcomes clients to the tax center, screens for eligibility and preparedness, collects documents, and assembles the information necessary for the Tax Preparer to complete the tax return in an efficient manner. The Client Liaison plays a critical role in ensuring that clients have a quality experience. Volunteers will participate in a required 2-hour training online.
Translator: 46% of Community Tax Center clients speak only Spanish! We are in great need of bilingual volunteers to help clients and our volunteer tax preparers communicate effectively. Translators help ensure that the taxpayers understand their tax return and their tax obligations. Volunteers will participate in a required 2-hour training online.
Skill and or qualifications :
NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!!! FREE TRAINING PROVIDED
- Basic computer skills for inputting tax return information (Windows-based software knowledge)
- Ability to work with people from different backgrounds
- Ability to deal with the public in a helpful and supportive manner, including good interviewing skills
- Friendly, dependable, flexible and able to volunteer in a fast-paced environment
Personal satisfaction at helping families get enough income and fulfill government requirements at no cost; Personal financial benefits from increased knowledge of tax law; Free tax law training; Resume boosting; Networking opportunities, meet new people from diverse backgrounds
Free in-class training will be provided by Foundation Communities and the IRS beginning in December. Online training is available for individuals with tax knowledge and prior tax experience. Training is highly required for new volunteers with no previous tax experience. Returning volunteers may prefer to take one of the Open Lab Session.
All volunteers must watch the Ethics/Volunteer Code of Conduct video and complete the training prior to attending training.
New Volunteer/Basic Tax Preparation
- 8 hours
- In-person, classroom-style
- Includes basics of income tax law and how to use TaxSlayer web-based software to complete a tax return
Returning Volunteer/Advanced Tax Preparation
- 6 hours
- In-person, classroom-style or Online lessons and videos
- Includes advanced topics and introduction to TaxSlayer
Greeters and Spanish/English Translators
- 2 hours
- Online lessons and videos
- Includes an introduction to our services and specialized training for your volunteer role
All Tax Preparers are required to pass the IRS Ethics Online Certification & Advance Tax prepare test each year. The certification questions and training materials are provided in advance at no cost to volunteers.
Once you submit interest someone from the Dallas CTC will contact you to provide more information about training and volunteering.
Thank you so much for your interest in volunteering with the Community Tax Centers.
- Customer Service
- Data Entry
- Basic Computer Skills
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 25 Hours between January to April
- Free IRS Tax Training, must pass Ethics certification, & IRS level testing