Shine Foundation Volunteer Facilitator - Brooklyn
100 people are interested
Shine Foundation is a NYC-based nonprofit on a mission to empower survivors of domestic violence through financial literacy. We deliver group workshops on everything from building credit to budgeting to overcoming job hurdles to the most vulnerable - survivors in shelter who have become homeless after leaving their abusers. With the help of a diverse network of volunteers and no paid staff, we have assisted almost 400 survivors in only 4 years. We invite you to join us in helping more survivors thrive, financially!
We are looking for facilitators who are engaging, energetic and can make financial content exciting and fun! Successful facilitators understand the importance of engagement and user experience in the teaching process and have the client’s interests in mind.
Shine assigns selected facilitators to emergency shelter sites throughout NYC, prepares volunteers in a 6-8 hour intensive training and provides facilitators with a trauma-informed financial curriculum. In return, we’re looking for facilitators to deliver the curriculum at the assigned sites.
- Create/Edit lesson plans and activities
- Facilitate classes
- Conduct research and preparation for classes
- "Lead" the program
- 3+ years of prior experience working with similar client population OR prior facilitation/teaching experience.
- Strong communication skills.
- Introspective humility.
- Experience creating content or lesson plans that are fun and exciting!
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Timeframe: One-year
- Weekly commitment: 1 to 4 hours + travel to shelter sites in NYC
We invite all prospective volunteers to join us for a 45-minute virtual info session. Following the info session and depending on mutual interest, we then proceed with an online application and 1-on-1 interview.
Please click here to sign up for an info session - https://calendly.com/ shinefoundation/infosession? month=2019-05
6 Doyers St.#130206New York, NY 10013
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Financial Literacy
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Teaching / Instruction
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- About 1 to 4 hours/week
- Want to make a difference! Willing to travel to the Brooklyn for the projects.